Ontos

• October 10, 2016 at 1:28 PM #133254
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

Named after and loosely resembling a certain American anti-tank vehicle of the same name; the Ontos is a six cannon build that is fast and light, sporting a low profile and a wall deploy all backed with decent damage output and range.

Filling a role normally filled by scouts, the Ontos acts to utilize its high speed, low profile, and the element of surprise to quickly close the distance with vulnerable enemies like hexes/inverses and maul them at close range, while your reasonable durability and firepower not normally found on scouts allows you to finish them. Funny thing is, it can even circle strafe around Hexes fairly well.

On the other hand this same mobility can be used in conjunction with your wall deploy to cut and run when you find yourself outnumbered in a rough spot to fall back to your allies.

Keep in mind this is not your typical defender (it doesn’t really fill that role at all) and is not nearly as tanky as a result.
    It can be compensated some by its wall deploy but you’ll ultimately prefer to utilize the hills and trenches around you to their full effect.

Attachments:
    1. screenshot_883

screenshot_883.png

2. screenshot_885

screenshot_885.png

1. current-2.mech
    October 10, 2016 at 2:21 PM #133258
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant
    Total posts : 865

pretty sick, and with those xcons you have a really long range of fire and effective range

October 10, 2016 at 8:48 PM #133268
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3214

And here I was thinking cannons were not in the meta any more 🙂

October 10, 2016 at 9:40 PM #133270
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

Apparently cannons are Scout weapons, now.

October 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM #133285
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

Well, I’m probably just stubbornly stuck in previous meta. The Ontos has only been tested against AI so far (though it performs pretty nicely there and it was a fun joyride), It could perform like garbage against players for all I know.
    So I wouldn’t call this meta just yet, haha.

Scout? Well, it does encroach on the lower end of wheel speeds, so I suppose I could call it some kind of tread scout if that is even a thing. Then again, pure Hex cannon builds were utterly unheard of until I posted the Nordenfelt and now even the AI is running them, figures.

October 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM #133291
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

All of the cannon builds are us desperately holding onto the old meta.

October 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM #133294
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

Alpha had some decent cannon builds since you could fit 6 on a decent biped with room for armor and spacers.

In chrome hounds a set of 4 cannons was enough or you could drop to a lighter set and have 2-3 backup guns.
    Even 1 cannon could be viable vs a full loadout.

Can just 4 cannons be viable? How many guns do we expect per chassis?

Large caliber guns (cannon, sniper, howitzer) as I can see them fit these weapons in the current patch.
    Hover 1-2
    Wheel 2-3
    Biped / reverse 4-6
    Treads 4-8
    Hexes 6-10

October 11, 2016 at 5:03 PM #133297
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

I agree with Serge here. You look at all the current cannon meta builds, and they are packing minimum of five. Four or under is just not viable.

Same thing with in Chromehounds where two or under were not viable. Except that felt like it worked.

Here on the other hand, it’s just pile them on until it’s viable, and it still feels like we’re still not getting enough bang for the buck even after the sixth cannon.

The forum ‘Player Builds’ is closed to new topics and replies.