AIs

• June 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM #102066
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

Now that you mentioned about an AI on the main page, I remember that the AI hounds in Chromehounds all basically behaved the exact same regardless of their RT; always moving straight toward your base collecting the COMBASes along the way. But when you mention of making an AI “gentlemanly” I hope you’re not meaning that it’ll just waltz up to you, firing a warning shot past your nose, and lets itself just embarrassingly get owned. After all it feels nice to take down something that gave you a decent challenge.

Something I was thinking is that their could be maybe 3-4 different AIs each with a very different strategy (as opposed to a jack of all trades AI).

-Close Combat: Usually on AI MAVs built around close combat (well armoured, only close range weapons, fairly mobile), essentially gets up close and personal, never retreating. Most of the time traveling in cities or other areas with a lot of cover unless another MAV on it’s team finds you; in which case it moves to it’s location to help.

-Long Ranged: Probably on MAVs equipped for ranged battle (but not heavy gunners). Picks a place on the high ground surrounded by open area, or following somewhere near/behind a Close Combat AI (the latter probably being more frequent). If engaged directly it will usually back away and shoot.

-Heavy Gunner: Similar to Long Ranged AIs, this AI is restricted to MAVs that aren’t very mobile but equipped for extreme ranged combat. It basically picks a place on the high vantage point and waits for other AIs to paint it’s targets. Th

-Support: Used for Engineers, Commanders or other support roles, maybe some variation for each. These follow the bulk of the team doing what their MAV is built for. The Commander variant would notify the other MAVs if it spots you on the radar. The engineer variant would move to a damaged ally to repair it even in battle.

Any thoughts? (these are just examples of what I mean but I’m sure you get the idea)
    PS: sorry I haven’t made any visual concepts lately. been stuck for ideas, as well I’ve sort of been trying to learn Unity to get my own project in the works. (it’s an RTS game and I have most of the plans/concepts on paper.)
    PPS: Have I thanked you and Bombdog studios for reviving Chromehounds and making it even better? If not, I thank you guys a ton ;D

June 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM #103892
    JON
    Lance Corporal
    Total posts : 40

Remember that R.T. wheel in the garage? That thing was useless but I LOVED it. It would be simple to have the AI governed by the R.T. wheel with random “quirks” that influenced its overall objective. Who wants to look across the map and know what a MAV is going to do based on its loadout? What was awesome about chromehounds A.I. was that is was aggressive. You were always into the clock and there was a certain fear involved with leaving your base.

June 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM #103893
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

I actually already have a system in place like the RT wheel in chromehounds, I just don’t visually display it anywhere yet.

The points on the wheel right now are : Defense, Firepower, Range, Speed, and Cost

In fact, the entire AI spawning is built on this wheel. Right now to spawn an AI, it just randomizes the input wheel, and that determines everything about the M.A.V. that will be spawned.

As for my comment on making the AI more gentlemanly, I made that when the AI improvements I had made started forcing the AI into face to face all out gun-fests. I watched wave after wave of AI smash into each other guns blazing and tearing everything up. I think average life span shrunk to ~20 seconds. I started adding a bit more strategic logic to the AI which allowed them to have battles at a more appropriate range. The strategy is what made them more ‘gentlemanly’.

I am hoping you will find the AI in the next build significantly more difficult. I made quite a few drastic improvements, and while they are not complete, should behave in a much more human way. If you walk up to them in a light M.A.V. thinking you can run circles around them, be prepared to die.

August 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM #104049
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

As for my comment on making the AI more gentlemanly, I made that when the AI improvements I had made started forcing the AI into face to face all out gun-fests. I watched wave after wave of AI smash into each other guns blazing and tearing everything up. I think average life span shrunk to ~20 seconds. I started adding a bit more strategic logic to the AI which allowed them to have battles at a more appropriate range. The strategy is what made them more ‘gentlemanly’.

Speaking of which, could there maybe be two different AI difficulties. One of which would be sort of casual while the other gives you hell?

August 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM #104050
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

Yup, I will implement different difficulty levels for sure.

August 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM #104051
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Awesome ^_^, I remember Chromehounds didn’t do that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.