Armor now and planned for the future

• March 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM #145256
    twaldowski
    Participant
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Total posts : 190

I thought the idea that guns could protrude through armor was an OK concept because you figure there can be gun ports in armor like there were in sailing vessels. And there seemed to be borderline cases where guns could be behind armor. With the new update it is unclear what’s what. My latest commander had howitzer muzzles sticking through armor, now with the update there is a collision. Coincidentally the background mech has a bunch of guns behind armor. So what can we expect now and what is the expectation for a “production” version?

March 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM #145264
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1786

It was a bug with the change in collision systems between new and old which weren’t compatible with one another.

As for the one you saw in the background of the menu, that’s because skynet does not check its builds to see if they are still legal, only that they were legal at the time skynet adopted the build.
    Chances are it’s not possible for the player to run the build you saw, same goes for old assault rifle and rocket builds that have since gotten heavier, and on rare occasions you might still find a skynet build with a sideways facing thermal vision.

March 30, 2018 at 8:58 PM #145281
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 641

You should not be able to have parts that are clipping through each other. I am working to correct these with every update.

Being able to shoot through your own armor, if you have a weapon completely behind it, is something I am still debating. I have yet to see it play a statically significant advantage in multiplayer games, as the setup to achieve this normally makes the build weaker and not stronger.

March 30, 2018 at 9:28 PM #145285
    twaldowski
    Participant
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Total posts : 190

My two cents: especially in MAV where lots of mining equipment is being repurposed for combat we can hypothesize a patadigm where armor can easily have holes in it for gun barrels. I had a commander build where I stumbled upon the feature where the howitzers stuck through the armor and that made sense. It also makes sense that visually guns behind the armor should not work. Like the gun ports on sailing ships:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.