better rangefinder PLEASE

• October 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM #141428
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 270

i hate the current rangefinder crosshair for howitzers, and i have a suggestion.

if anyone has seen the rangefinder thing in aircraft that has multiple lines that move up or down with their own number, this is what im talking about.

but i would also like to have a crosshair in the middle of the rangefinder as well to tell where even the center is. this would be very useful when your aiming at an angle where rounds will travel straight instead of dipping down for a distance.

October 16, 2017 at 11:58 PM #141747
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 643

It’s missing that middle cross hair for aiming them at a target in flat level fighting on purpose. That is not what the weapon is designed for. It’s not an accurate direct fire weapon. It’s a semi accurate, indirect fire weapon.

October 17, 2017 at 12:12 AM #141748
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant
    Total posts : 865

ive basically drawn one of these on my screen, a regular crosshair doesnt work, you need bullet drop indicators, even then they dont work on their own the only thing that tells you where your rounds actually land is experience

anyways you can right click, view that image and trace the chevrons with a dry erase marker. top chevron is equal to where your rounds land at the 250 range with heavy rockets, bottom chevron equal to 500(this is not using your range finder numbers, but actual map units) if your firing up at someone or down at someone your gonna wanna use the lower chevrons, since rockets dont fire straight in these cases, they sorta just plop out the barrel

also if your using your range finder numbers just add 100, so if someone is 250 away, you aim at them using the top chevron your range finder claims 350

October 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM #141754
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

The best part of the Simonov and other similar reticles would be the built-in stadiametric rangefinder. The current “range finder” isn’t really a range finder as much as a trajectory calculator.

I think an actual range finder in the form of an auxiliary laser part would be ideal. This would give you a center dot reticle on your screen to measure a precise point-to-point distance. And while we’re talking laser pointers I think this would be an awesome team-only visible beam for helping to designate targets and coordinate movement.

Check out the laser rangefinder usage in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbdEaRNtIs

While I’m at it, borrow more ideas from Arma and the things they got right.

Edit: Lasers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG0eBuGz-Mw

October 17, 2017 at 9:53 AM #141755
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

mmh…i get that they arent supposed to be used that way, but sniper rifles arent supposed to be used as howitzers, yet people using shorter ranged sniper rifles are forced to use quite a parabolic trajectory when targeting enemies outside the rifle’s max range. same with cannons, shotguns and machineguns. concussion rockets arent supposed to be used to make ones own a tank sprint like a gazelle, and howitzers DEFINITELY arent supposed to travel relatively STRAIGHT at any range, but they do at medium range, making them a very effective cannon when facing targets at close range.

also, saying they arent supposed to be used like that, yet…little effort is made to stop people’s creativity. in fact you encourage them to be as creative as their hearts desire. using a howitzer as a close to medium range weapon is a lot less exploit than a build that would employ shotguns or machineguns as long range bombardment weapons. ive done it, found it to be fairly effective evenif it is harder to do. its quite the treat when you find that your shotgun spam is able to annihilate an enemy at four times the maximum range listed.

unless you plan on increasing the parabolic trajectory height of howitzers, people will continue using them and other weapons of the same design as close to medium range weapons, as they are FAR easier to use that way.

my last point is actually counter intuitive to what i want…but honestly i wouldnt mind it being increased. otherwise, please squish the rangefinder so the horizontal middle can be easier found. ive attached a concept. think of the altitude monitor in flight sim games, how the hud’s lines will go up or down, with numbers following them. that is what id like.

another thing i would LOVE..would be to see the rangefinder’s width and height(to hug the top and bottom of the screen at all times) adjust with range to hug an estimated maximum spread of a weapon. this would make it easier to determine where rounds are going to land based on how thin or wide the rangefinder is. for example, you aim at your feet, the rangefinder will be incredibly wide, where as aiming at an enemy at 500 range would be a sliver in comparison.

think of a close up view compared to a using binoculars. close up view would use a very wide rangefinder with very few numbers seen, compared to aiming at something afar would make the rangefinder squish, with many numbers visible. hmm…ive got a lot of stuff jumbled here, sorry..

HEY….it would be really nice to have a rangefinder camera module like this https://my-live.slatic.net/v2/resize/products/9298506-432807f0666e5009018383a1d2fd3a82.jpg that would show you the range your target is at. the rangefinder would show you the range so you could adjust your pitch till the numbers match. that would help without being op.

but then….the current rangefinder number does not show you the distance your rounds will land at…does it? its just a number that goes from 1 being straight down to 1000 being straight up. if so, its pretty useless when using different ranges of support weapons. something that would be useable across all support weapons would make using them for their intended purpose much easier and fun.

i have to go do yard work right now, otherwise id proofread. something tells me you wont understand what im saying, which…is quite a lot actually….

please give them some thought. i would love to be able to use them for their intended purpose, but this is, admit it, quite a challenge. it would make artillery much more feared and respected.

Attachments:
    1. rangefinder

rangefinder.png

October 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM #141757
    TewdrigTewdrig
    Participant
    Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 467

i have to go do yard work right now, otherwise id proofread. something tells me you wont understand what im saying, which…is quite a lot actually….

Oh yeah, you’re totally going to need to explain what you’re talking about. Right over our heads, it’s ridiculous the big brain boi shit you’re laying down on us, how could we possibly keep up?

A better rangefinder would be cool unless it meant nerfing howitzers in the name of balance. If they’d get a nerf to make up for ease of use my vote would be to keep the current rangefinder.

October 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM #141758
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

considering what rusty said, the current support reticule isnt a rangefinder. a true rangefinder would show you the range of something you are pointing at.

hmmm….another concept, a legitimate rangefinder module that would put the actual range above the enemy mavs within the module’s range. that or it could show you the number you would have to match in the current support reticule to make a hit.

however, i would rather have the current reticule match and estimate the spread of the weapon and adjust in width based on the range. that way, if you figured out the spread, youd be able to make a far better, more consistent estimate of where the rounds will land. if the reticule is wide, you will be able to estimate that it(they) will land somewhere close. and so on.

to balance the increase in ease, the parabolic trajectory could also be increased to be more realistic, wiiiith maybe a seconds before impact estimate to help people lead targets.

October 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM #141760
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

also, i thought of doing that too, axle, drawing a reticle on my screen. it would be neat, but it would be easier to have a transparent laminate sticker thing to just tape to the top so it would hang down instead of risking the possibility that it would leave a permanent mark. in fact….i might actually do that if the support reticule doesnt change.

October 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM #141766
    FelixT93FelixT93
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

I know you’re using realism as an argument but even realism is working against you here.
    Real howitzers can and have been used as direct-fire weapons, and it’s much easier to use them that way since you don’t need any spotting or calculating the angle necessary to hit a coordinate that someone else outlined, just as it is in MAV. Obviously it isn’t optimal to direct-fire them as you lose a lot of range in doing so and puts the weapon itself and operators at risk, but then again, how’s this any different here?

Howitzers have one of the highest skill ceilings in the game and I appreciate that, anyone can just run up and hurl explosives into someone’s face, and anyone can just spam rounds towards the sky hoping to hit something in that general direction, but it takes a player that has dedicated some good proper practice to reliably smash a sniper’s roof in from across the map even with someone spotting for him; which is far more dangerous and scary.
    It’s hard to do that by yourself, but this is exactly what scouts are for (assuming your scout didn’t try to bum-rush the enemy front-line and get himself killed), supports aren’t designed to be independent.
    With that said; I’m with Tewdrig on this one, I’d rather keep the skill ceiling high and extremely rewarding rather than spoon feed the player-base so everyone and their mother can use them to their full effect.

Remember, MAV is a team-based game and supports aren’t exactly independent which is why you mostly see howitzers used as a direct fire weapon. If you’re playing as a scout and you have a support trying to do his job properly, give him some feedback, tell him to aim further left, right, farther, etc. Give that support the information he needs to function properly, he’s most effective when he’s not even in view of the area being bombarded.
    That support will probably thank you if you enable him.

As for lobbing sniper rounds, shotguns, and such and not being punished for doing that, I do agree that is actually kind of messed up that it’s viable due to the lack of damage drop off.
    I remember there was in fact a damage drop off in Chromehounds but bullet drop was also a lot more pronounced in that game, the rounds almost took a 90* turn and make a beeline for the ground below.

October 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM #141769
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

i like the fact that the skill ceiling is high, but the reticule could be better suited for its role. right now it is about as useful as having no reticule at all. i think it could be squished to 75% the current width, and a horizontal center marker at the top and bottom of the reticule too so you can at least tell whether your actually lined up with the target. maybe not a vertical center marker though, as it would mostly assist people using them as direct fire weapons, and would probably throw off people not.

October 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM #141780
    FelixT93FelixT93
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

I get what you mean, a much simpler solution which achieves the same idea but wouldn’t have to be animated, would be to just have a pair of spaced out vertical lines.

To answer the suspicion you had about the range finder, it does in fact tell you the approximate distance that your barrage will land. But it doesn’t take elevation into account and it is known to sometimes be inconsistent with the map’s given dimensions. I could be wrong though.
    But I do like that it’s just a reference point and not a device telling you “that enemy is at XXXX distance, match the number and score” which seems to be what an earlier part of the discussion was tossing up, and largely what I was replying to.

October 18, 2017 at 12:08 AM #141791
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

holy shit…resolution seriously affects the size of the reticules…

on my 44 inch hdtv(what i use as a pc monitor) at the resolution i have to play at, 1024 x 768(which is stretched to fit widescreen ratio), i did measurements.

the total length in width of the screen itself is 40 inches, and the rangefinder reticule is a whopping 25 inches wide and 14.5 inches tall, with a mere 6.5 inches away from the edge of the screen…

i know this is another bad resolution problem, but wow…

the vertical lines are just about the width id find appropriate. in fact, to reduce the current width to a third of what it is now and itd be golden.

The forum ‘Gameplay Wish List’ is closed to new topics and replies.