durability monitor design

• October 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM #141851
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 270

i posted this in a different forum, but whatever.

i would like for the durability monitor system to highlight the mav and color it based on its durability percentage. to be simple, it could be split into five colors. red for 20%, orange for 40%, yellow for 60%, lime green for 80% and pure green for 100%.

it would show a percentage over the parts as well. this would all make distinguishing what part has what durability easy in the case that you have multiple of a single weapon.

the attached image shows an earlier design that would be apart from the mav itself and just be a silhouette of the parts you are carrying. i deemed this would be bad for parts that were hidden, so i changed it to simply use the mav itself instead of be a part of the ui.

another thing this would allow is that you would be able to tell the durability without averting your eyes to something that is on the edge of the screen. seeing bright red or orange on your mav would also give players a little incentive to try and avoid taking damage there.

Attachments:
    1. RIP-THEIR-THOUGHTS-ASUNDAAAAAAH-1

RIP-THEIR-THOUGHTS-ASUNDAAAAAAH-1.png

October 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM #141868
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

+1

This isa really cool visual representation of your mavs current damage status. I like it a lot. Maybe you could have a version for heat status as well.

You could even cycle through them. Damage, heat the off so it doesn’t obstruct your view.

October 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM #141871
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

My biggest concern with that design is how would it handle something like the build I posted below? There is a lot of part overlap as I’ve tried to make the build super compact.

Attachments:
    1. screenshot_170

screenshot_170.png

October 20, 2017 at 4:41 PM #141874
    FelixT93FelixT93
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

I was going to say something similar, most builds have a lot of components that aren’t easily seen from the front and usually avoid having such a wide profile.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a neat idea but I don’t see it working very well.

October 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM #141880
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

a spinning 3d view of the build won’t give information fast enough. Maybe a better visualization of the spine and separation of weapon clusters into visual groups.

An alternate idea if we go with the part glow idea is to have the actual parts on your mech glow (for you only) when the menu is open and if we have the hold alt to have a free rotation on your camera then you can see part coloration from whatever angle you want.

October 21, 2017 at 8:44 AM #141886
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

I actually like the way it is done currently. I feel like I am looking at a machine’s diagnostics when I scan through the parts status. It’s the kind of thing you should always check in-between fights, but takes a lot of discipline to make good use of in the middle of intense combat.

I don’t think it should be overhauled to be too easy to check the health of your parts other than making the feature more apparent for new players.

A change I could get behind that I think would help visually while still keeping the methodical feeling of “I have to check my mech’s status before I get into this fight” in the game:

Hold down a button like ALT when you have the parts diagnostics window open to enable the mouse cursor. You can then hover over or click on individual parts to highlight them on your MAV. Alternatively the parts can be tabbed through for gamepad players.

October 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM #141889
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

hmmm….im not sure if you guys misinterpreted the idea or not, but in the case that you did,

the thing in the picture is an old version of the idea, from which spawned the reason i made this thread: pressing the durability key would highlight the actual mav, not any part of the ui. this would give a view of it from the rear by default. it would still use pecentages, which are incredibly small and would not

but the build you posted would still give this idea a bad day, however, rusty’s free look idea would certainly help with this.

on a side note, builds like that should not even be viable, you shameless bastard. (no offense, just using axle’s terminology)

however, i do see the downside of having a build that would have parts that block; i can see a lot of spinebuilds having trouble with this, which free look would help with.

it could also be made to have little lines extend out from the build with the percent at the end when parts are hidden like that.

October 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM #141893
    Ruludos
    Participant
    Corporal
    Total posts : 66

The main problem would be the massive amount of effort required to make this happen. I don’t think it’s worth the development time required for a meager improvement over the current system. I feel like there’s already enough player feedback regarding the state of your MAV. Even when you have a large number of parts it’s easy to identify damaged parts by their sparking/burning animations.

October 22, 2017 at 9:28 AM #141918
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

you say ‘massive amount of effort required’ as if you know exactly what would be required to do this. tell me, what WOULD be required to do this?

i check my durability level often, but my resolution is so low that the ui takes up a good 10% of it. i would love to have it open, but even then, the current durability ui makes it hard to tell what part has what health. i do not think it would be very hard to do something like this though. it would literally just make the mav use the same textureless bug thing that people see when clicking a part in the garage. im fairly certain you could just change the model path and make some percents hover against the part as part of the ui.

October 22, 2017 at 12:17 PM #141926
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

A dynamic HUD rendered onto parts in 3D is far different and more work than any of the current HUD elements.

October 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM #142000
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

The work involved is shader work like the thermals. Since thermals are finally in the game it isn’t a much further step to get other shaders such as night vision / explosives sensors / part durability sensor. I’d probably rather have this sort of system on an aux like how we have commander systems and other extra functionality on aux parts.

Probably one of the biggest things that need changed is that the quick health information that pops up without the menu open needs a bit of reworking. Sometimes they don’t show you taking damage, critical parts should be shown longer / etc to better show when build critical parts are being destroyed.

October 24, 2017 at 3:33 PM #142018
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

having it as an aux module would help with balance so making it easier is costly.

The forum ‘Gameplay Wish List’ is closed to new topics and replies.