Dynamic Weather

• December 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM #127966
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

Time of Day
    So there will be about 4 different Time of Days that we get, night time, early morning, midday, and evening. For the Dynamic time frame I’d say each territory should see each one in about an 8 hour rotation (2 hours per time). I’d also suggest set up the map to have something like “16” timezones so that every 30 minutes the time of day advances. We could do something more “realtime” where if a territory is a few meters to one side it’ll be in the next time of day section.

We could do dynamic inside the map where the lighting is dynamic with a set time of light based on lighting at the time the battle started instead of forced into 4 types. We could also have the time pass while in battle so if you load in before sunset you can watch the sunset slowly happen as you fight it out. I’m just worried about people loading in for an evening battle and then five minutes later right when the battle starts BAM it’s a night time map. Of course if we’re talking about battles that last more than 15 or 30 minutes then I’d want the lighting to change dynamically and gradually.

Weather Effects
    Stuff such as Cloudy (low light) / Foggy (low visibility) / Rainy (not as low visibility) should only be on battle start. Imagine a few day long battle of a territory and the whole thing is covered in a dense fog because the battle continues to rage on. I love it.
    I do like the weather effects being set into the 4 different types (clear skies, cloudy (partly?), rainy, foggy (white out / dust storm / whatever)).

December 10, 2015 at 5:01 AM #127971
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

Will the weather affect ground conditions? For instance when it rains will the ground become muddy and cause MAV movement speed to be reduced. Same with snow, once it has built up overtime, thus impairing movement? And if the sun comes out on ‘damp’ muddy ground will it dry up over time and restore/improve the movement speed again.

Along with the visibility being affected by rain/snow/fog etc having the ground conditions changing would be another interesting issue to contend with.

December 10, 2015 at 6:16 AM #127973
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

I know visibility and heat (thermals and fire damage) will change with conditions and time of day. Example being a MAV would show up easier on thermals in a cold rainy night while midday sunny on a desert map would overheat quicker when set on fire.

Ground resistance and slope angles would be interesting to be effected. I can see a muddy hill being harder to climb.

I doubt there will be fancy changes mid match though, that’s a LOT of work and it changes what sort of builds you’d want to bring.

December 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM #127974
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

That’s true you wouldnt want to be forced to change your build because the weather had drastically altered the ground environment. I didnt mean for the change to be major like 30-40%, but instead a minor thing in the realm of a 5% (or something) speed decrease in certain chassis.

I remember in chromehounds the ‘slushy’ patches of ground (near rivers), and being underwater would slow you down. I was thinking along the lines of realism rather than the practical development lines. 🙂

December 10, 2015 at 8:43 AM #127979
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3214

I don’t think there is an issue with affecting the ground, I believe Serge was just saying you wouldn’t want it to happen once you had ALREADY deployed. Knowing it’s going to be like that and having to adjust is fine, being caught in it without a way to adjust is no fun.

December 10, 2015 at 10:26 AM #127992
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Yeah im talking about launching in and at the two minute mark suddenly snow storm and your in a sniper without thermals because it launched as a sunny day. Also thinking of altering mostly muddy ground to dry ground mid match and all that stuff as being very costly in Dev time.

I totes agree on the terrain affecting you such as roads being easier than sand to move on by a few percentage.

December 11, 2015 at 1:15 AM #128028
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant

Cool beans 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.