Factions

• December 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM #127891
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

A faction is formed when a “Faction Leader” gains a following and splits off from their current faction. The following can be the leaders squad or another squad, as long as there is 2 people forming the new faction.

Those who can join the new faction are either squads “squad leader chooses and all squad mates automatically transfer”, and those participating in the freelance mercenary trade who are squadless and can fight for different factions as long as they aren’t fighting against their home faction.

To officially form though this new faction must hold 1 territory to make it their base of operations. Forming factions have a grace period of an hour or two to capture a territory from their home faction or an edge territory of another faction touching their old ones territory before they are removed as a defeated faction and all members are absorbed by the winning “previous” faction.

The faction leader can be transferred to someone else so a democracy of collaborating squads can choose their leader or the leader can become a dictator and stay leader until the faction wins or is destroyed.

Some things to set up is allowing the faction leader to be in a squad or even the squad leader at the same time. It can be interesting if the faction leader which I wanna call an overlord now must leave their squad to be one, but that comes down to how we want them to interact with squads and battles.

Another thing is queuing up stuff, we can’t be online all the time so designating sub leaders and or setting up some sort of policy to do things while your away would be helpful.

I just know you’ll want to work on making your HQ a fortress territory.

An idea as well is hiring ai mercenary squads so there is always something to fight and move the map around. Eventually I’d want ai vs ai where the server can “mock” battle and award the winner / loser stuff after it decided how long this battle will go. That way the world is more alive and the servers dont have to logic out a whole fight if it is ai vs ai, just gotta make it believable such as a draw because they got stuck on tree roots. 😉

December 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM #127898
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3214

It’s seems the info graphic worked well, as you just detailed out nearly every idea I had going into it. Ai will be able to have general directions, with a pool of available defenders and attackers, with priorities to which territories they fight in.

Defending your income producing territories will be very important. There are also a few ways to increase / decrease the strategic value of territories. Some can have weapons that support the attack and defend adjoining territories [remember those rail-guns to launch stuff into orbit 😉 ]. Also, the map generation will produce choke point territories as well.

I am torn on procedural map gen on server creation, or a static map for every war. Would love ideas on that.

December 7, 2015 at 12:35 PM #127903
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Look forward to that thread in an hour or more likely five after I do the manufacturing company one.

December 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM #127904
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

Are we talking about full map procedural generation or limited to resource based? If you feel that you would be able to utilize procedural generation to make quality maps or resource bases, then I’d be all for it. It would fix maps running stale. And with Chromehounds as an example, maps really didn’t run stale because of the sheer number of them.

December 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM #127909
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

First to Legacy, you played maps beside South Cemo Oilfields?

Global Map : Locations of territories can stay the same, the connections between them can be procedural along with their worth / company home location / etc.

In-Game : Minor differences across the map such as tree placement / a barrel / type of house.
    Base location selection will give us some differences and the different levels of different protections will give us lots of variations. I’d probably just keep it at preset for now tough and do any editor later.

December 7, 2015 at 2:32 PM #127910
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

I was talking only at a global level. I tried the gameplay level procedural generation and it wasn’t that great.

December 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM #127912
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

That would make each war different. I approve.

And believe it or not, I did see other maps than South Cemo. Namely North Cemo. 😉

December 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM #127914
    Tacoclaw
    Participant
    Sergeant
    Total posts : 96

Cemo was played a lot because it was a balanced map where anyone could win. It never got old because one different build could change the entire playstyle on every round.

I remember games where we wouldn’t look at Pacman through it’s entirety and I remember games where Pacman was the center point of focus and the team that got a heavy gunner on it would run the match.

I actually support maps being the same because that encourages strategy. Tough to form a strategy on a map you’ve never played before, let alone if you’ll never play that map again. The trick will be to make maps, watch them get played, then find out why maps that aren’t played as much aren’t getting played. Once a strategy is created on a map it will be tough to get people off of it, but as long as the maps are balanced and fun the repetitiveness will get to folks and they will branch out.

People died to get away from the usual maps on CH, but since they never got played it was a lot more interesting to see who won due to everyone being new to it. Interesting doesn’t always mean fun though, throwing teams to the wolves every match is a good way to wear out vets and newbies alike.

December 7, 2015 at 8:37 PM #127917
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

I will be focusing on quality before quantity with the maps, though I do believe the more maps, the better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.