Acknown3
    Participant
    Corporal
    Total posts : 75

A quick note:

* I’m very new to these boards
    * I have not played a demo or anything of this game
    * I have only watched one video about it

The reason why I missed (and still miss) Chromehounds so much was the Neromious War. Sure, the rest of it was pure awesome, but the multiplayer is what really struck me. Are there plans to implement a three-faction war hosted on one server at some point?

Also, I miss the days when people would actually capture COMBAS’s, so that they could talk. Is this feature planned for the game? If not, perhaps you could make it so that you can only send in-game text messages while in a COMBAS’s range. I know that it would probably be a lot of work, but it’s just food for thought.

And by signing up on this board, do I get emails about the game’s development? This is one instance where I wouldn’t mind emails.

May 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM #103794
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3214

Hey, thanks for signing up and letting me know what you like. I agree, the multiplayer is the key to the game, but since I am just 1 person making this I have tweaked how chromehounds did it to work better in this setting.

Single player will be the same as multiplayer, there is no real distinction from the two. You will be able to do strictly single player ‘test’ levels to help you tweak your settings.

The world will be procedurally created, so there may be any number of factions with different goals.

Servers will be player run. This removes the central ‘kill switch’ that killed chromehounds, but also limits a bit of the total number of players. There will be persistent AI and NPC’s and I plan for there to be quite a bit of depth to the AI, but I am still looking at ways to maximize the number of players on a server. I might also have something that treats each public server as a shard, so it essentially turns the whole thing into a distributed server system. I am working this all out right now.

I do plan a system similar to the COMBAS, but I am unsure if it will include voice chat yet. I have not looked very deep into the voice chat systems, but I do like the idea of limited range text chatting.

Right now I don’t post any updates through the board mailing system. If you want to follow the development, the best thing would be to follow the blog (I post 3 times a week at least). You can use an RSS reader to subscribe to the blog feed if you would like. RSS Feed

Great questions and glad to have you on the board!

May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM #103796
    Acknown3
    Participant
    Corporal

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

Hey, thanks for signing up and letting me know what you like. I agree, the multiplayer is the key to the game, but since I am just 1 person making this I have tweaked how chromehounds did it to work better in this setting.

No prob. I’ve know about this for a little while, but I just now decided to check it out. I can help spread awareness for you once the summer rolls around.

Single player will be the same as multiplayer, there is no real distinction from the two. You will be able to do strictly single player ‘test’ levels to help you tweak your settings.

I’m glad to see this. SP in Chromehounds was almost pointless, but I also grew tired of only having one map to test my MP builds.

Servers will be player run. This removes the central ‘kill switch’ that killed chromehounds, but also limits a bit of the total number of players. There will be persistent AI and NPC’s and I plan for there to be quite a bit of depth to the AI, but I am still looking at ways to maximize the number of players on a server. I might also have something that treats each public server as a shard, so it essentially turns the whole thing into a distributed server system. I am working this all out right now.

Sounds interesting, having players run servers which affect the whole “war.” I would say that 4v4, is possible, is a must for these scenarios. Having a scout, heavy gunner, defender, and soldier for each team.

I do plan a system similar to the COMBAS, but I am unsure if it will include voice chat yet. I have not looked very deep into the voice chat systems, but I do like the idea of limited range text chatting.

They seem somewhat complicated, and people could easily use third-party chat systems. Since this game isn’t as widely distributed as Chromehounds (yet 😉 ), I wouldn’t bother with the voice chat as of now.

Right now I don’t post any updates through the board mailing system. If you want to follow the development, the best thing would be to follow the blog (I post 3 times a week at least). You can use an RSS reader to subscribe to the blog feed if you would like. RSS Feed

Great questions and glad to have you on the board!

Thanks! I’ll try to keep up.

I have a few quick questions:

Are you going to have the same general system where you buy parts from stores?
    Will there be fuel?
    Will there be camoflage / patterns?
    Will there be a commander class?

They don’t matter too much, but it would be nice to have a general idea of what it will be like. Sorry if I seem like I’m going into Chromehounds denial xD

May 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM #103777
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

I’m glad to see this. SP in Chromehounds was almost pointless, but I also grew tired of only having one map to test my MP builds.

Right now I have at least a few ‘testing’ areas planned. A range for just fun target shooting and dialing in weapons, a combat area similar to what is playable now, and an obstacle course for testing out speed and mobility. I may add more if there is a need to isolate other testing areas.

Sounds interesting, having players run servers which affect the whole “war.” I would say that 4v4, is possible, is a must for these scenarios. Having a scout, heavy gunner, defender, and soldier for each team.

My goal would be that player run servers can hold quite a few human players (say 64) but not necessarily all in the same area. I am looking into the requirements between a true open world and an instanced world(like Chromehounds), as there are quite a few design considerations between the two as well.

I have a few quick questions:

Are you going to have the same general system where you buy parts from stores?
    Will there be fuel?
    Will there be camoflage / patterns?
    Will there be a commander class?

They don’t matter too much, but it would be nice to have a general idea of what it will be like. Sorry if I seem like I’m going into Chromehounds denial xD

Yes, but it will be expanded. You can buy parts and also structures that you can place in the levels. The structures will allow resource generation, manufacturing, and research. So you can research new parts and build them, if you have enough resources. You can get more resources from attacking other nations or finding salvage areas. You can also build resource generating buildings (like oil wells).
    There will be fuel, and will be much more important if I can go the open world route.
    I plan to have a fully customizable texture/decal system
    Depends on what I can come up with for them. Right now I think there is not a ton of room for a dedicated commander class, but there can be room for a ‘healer/salvage’ class. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am just not sure if radar alone is enough to warrant a class.

May 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM #103779
    Acknown3
    Participant
    Corporal

My only suggestions is that MAV’s within the Commander’s mini-satellite radius get some sort of bonus. For example, if you have in-game upgrades (I don’t know why you would, or if it would be good, but this is just a suggestion), you can research faster.

Or perhaps, if you decide to make a heavy gunner class, you only get the KM reading (how far you shoot) when near a Commander. The other option could be a UAV-like scan, where if a MAV shoots and the Commander is in range, they appear on the map for one second or something.

May 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM #103780
    Ifan
    Total posts : 4

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

My goal would be that player run servers can hold quite a few human players (say 64) but not necessarily all in the same area. I am looking into the requirements between a true open world and an instanced world(like Chromehounds), as there are quite a few design considerations between the two as well.

I find instancing much better for competitive gameplay. Really hard to balance a procedurally generated open world. I also think non-instanced games would throw off the hardcore crowd. Unless you can “lock them in” in some sort way to give them a predictable arena reliant on skill and teamwork the “cool kids” would leave pretty fast. The last thing i want to see is random people running around shooting everyone when I’m concentrated on taking on the other team. Pro-gamers hate unpredictability 🙂
    The thought of big awesome worlds are usually more awesome than they turn out to be. Also, seen from a programming standpoint- open world gameplay is much, much more work to develop. Yes, you can make something “work”, but if put the same amount of time into making netcode for instanced gameplay you will have a something that’s much better than simply “functional”. Sure it would be awesome if you can make some nice mix down the line, but i think what most ex-chromies want to do first is to start duking it out in south cemo 😉

I guess what I’m trying to say is- don’t screw too much around with an almost perfect formula. Most people loved Chromehounds for what it was.
    I’m sorry if my opinions come out a bit strong, but this is something i care about and i have experience with both competitive gameplay and software development.

May 30, 2012 at 7:06 AM #103805
    JON
    Lance Corporal
    Total posts : 40

Spacers, multiple generators and multislot parts! Things like thermo and coolers! High part limit! Weapon recoil and damage splash! What got me hooked to chromehounds was when I got nailed with howie rounds and it spun my cockpit around twice, I recovered during his reload and squeezed off a cockpit shot just before he desimated me! The sense of danger was palliative bc everytime you got nailed you had to look throught the smoke and recover before you could fire. True skill. I made sounds I have never made playing any other game. I went through two disks and three mics! Sh*t was real!

June 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM #103847
    ForteDS
    Participant
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 25

Ahhh Chromehounds… if only I played that game more while we had it… Never was very good at it, but I was alright.

Anyway, as I understand it, the programmer wants to make the game so every server feeds into the persistant war. So, how about once the game is closer to being released, you set up a website tasked with tracking all the ranked matches, as well as updating the servers as territories change hands? Should be relatively little amount of data to send back and forth, and helps glue all the servers together so every participating battle does something.

July 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM #103904
    acat
    Private
    Total posts : 11

i miss the movement system in chromehounds to have the legs turn where you point them is much less annoying then
    mechwarrior with the throttle system.

July 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM #103908
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

@acat wrote:

i miss the movement system in chromehounds to have the legs turn where you point them is much less annoying then

I am looking into this as I agree with you.

July 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM #103948
    dowmein
    Blocked
    Private
    Total posts : 8

Specialized ammo types for weapons or nonstandard weapons? Like smoke grenades, incendiaries, mines, chaff, etc

Overheating effects? Heat or fire from terrain or weapons causing prolonged damage to mech unless equipped with a radiator or extinguisher. Deserts causing longer heat damage, snow with quicker cooling, etc.

Thermals? Infrared modules that show mech heat and ground/air temperature? Allowing for mechs that generate less heat to be able to stealth in a whiteout blizzard or cold area. Or using high heat weapons or tools to create diversions/or alert friendlies or heat seeking missiles to targets.

Day/Night cycle, weather effects? Thunderstorms, dust storms, blizzards, fog? Thermals or Nightvision. Pitchblackness unless moon is clear.

Destructible modules, fall damage from cliffs, collision damage? Punishment for doing it wrong.

Destructible structures, large walls, bridges, underwater terrain, structure heavy cities, and explosive structures (fuel tanks, oil rigs, etc)? Giving maps some life.

Smoke effects? Destroyed modules having smoke that extend far above the mech, dust from wheels/tracks, dust kicked up from ammo hitting the terrain or air pressure from large guns, and rocket backblast and trails. Leg tracks.

Mods?

July 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM #103949
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

Everything in your list is planned to go in at some point in the future.

About mods though, I have thought about this a little and it’s an enormous amount of work. It may come out that offering mod support is a natural progression of the code base, but I cannot promise anything right now :/

August 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM #103955
    dowmein
    Blocked
    Private
    Total posts : 8

Cool bro. Looking forward to see what you you guys can do.

August 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM #104034
    dafoomie
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 19

@acat wrote:

This is the only reason why I’m not playing MWO right now.

August 24, 2012 at 2:01 AM #104069
    Acknown3
    Participant
    Corporal

Hey, I was cleaning out my bookmarks and found this in there, so I figured I would post. Again, I haven’t been following the development along, but I plan on changing that soon. In fact, I’ll probably register an alpha account within the next week.

Do you have any plans to incorporate potential “closed” cockpit designs? While I first viewed it as cheating, I realized how, once everyone had the ability to do it, it because a strategic matter, not only using spacers, shields, and even commander radars as defense, but weapons as well.

The forum ‘Gameplay Wish List’ is closed to new topics and replies.