Garage Usability: A Growing Concern

• February 1, 2015 at 6:45 AM #112988
    Tchey
    Participant
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 27

Hello, new player here.

I completly support this part mainly :

The Fix: UI definitely needs some revisions in areas.

Needs to Have:

1: Part Spawn Area: Either for those being duplicated or spawned in from the garage menu, there needs to be a secure place other than where you’re clicking. There’s nothing more fun than trying to grab a piece buried in your build or in the floor.
    2: Menu Protection: When operating the garage menu or one of the individual parts menu, it get really annoying just to have to angle the Garage properly to click without screwing up your build. Have it to where if any of these menus are opened, the build is locked and cannot be edited.
    3: Connection Points: The rainbow connector has been one of some annoyance here and there and is hard to learn at times. A good suggestion from hunt0rbehunted is that instead of the rainbow line connector, you can select a floating piece, select a hardpoint on that piece, and click on the other hardpoint you want to attach it to from on the build. From there, the rotation tool in the individual part menu can be properly utilized to adjust if need be.
    4: The Infamous Misclick: We’ve all done it. Removed or deleted that one piece that removed/screwed up our design that we’ve been working on for ten minutes. A simple undo button would do wonders.
    5: Auto Generate: We all misclick that sometimes, but a ‘Are You Sure?’ button needs to be added just as the Save functionality has with saving/overwriting a build.
    6: Three Dimensionality: Working in a three dimensional space sometimes with moving parts can be rather annoying at times. Moving unconnected parts around to get a better angle is sometimes a pain, even for me. Having the ability to set part movement to a solid XYZ holding the part and using three pairs of hot keys to move it would help alleviate that issue.

September 3, 2017 at 10:56 PM #140393
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant
    Total posts : 865

talked to rusty and thought it be a good time to bring this thread back to everyones attention. id like to see controller/keyboard support added to the garage controls. id loveto be able to select parts with my arrow keys and hit enter then see them placed on the build then be able to pick any open connection points, you know like chromehounds’

and rusty was echoing thoughts in here about how you should be able to click two different connection points to connect an item to a mav, and right click parts to enable that mode again, isolating it so you can select two new connection points

some other threads on this topic too:

Garage complete rework is a must have

Weekly Discussion Thread #254 : The Garage

September 4, 2017 at 9:02 AM #140410
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

Thanks for resurrecting this one Axle. If only one thing could be done, I think freeing up the camera at least would make things less irritating.
    The way the buttons on parts disappear randomly as you want to click on them is pretty infuriating for new people too from the feedback I get.

September 4, 2017 at 10:23 AM #140412
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant

the game now, with its ui and menu overhauls is in the most presentable state its ever been in.

and rusty from talking to ithers has told me the top three concerns about the game to new players at the momoment are; 1. the framerate 2. garage usability 3. animations and sounds

and i relate i get fps complaints from newer players pretty often. but i thi k the garage woukd be easiest to tackle for now

September 22, 2017 at 5:49 PM #141108
    Perfect Crab
    Participant
    Private
    Total posts : 8

As a new user here and while i have nothing new to add, I’d like to just share my thoughts on the matter

Having only managed to get my MaV working today after login issues i’m having real trouble with the Garage, Its clunky and buttons disappear and there seems to be little hotkey support.
    For such an integral part of the game and having been a great fan of chomehounds i feel somewhat turned off by the sheer difficulty of the garage, Not only is it really laggy but i somehow managed to delete half of my tank while trying to remove a spacer attached way off from the main core.

For such an important part of the game and for having been around for god knows how long, It still remains easily the most difficult part of enjoying the game- Thoughts?

September 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM #141110
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant

totally agree, and id also love to see more hotkeys too

September 23, 2017 at 6:12 AM #141127
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

Not only more hotkeys, but a way to highlight the hotkeys that already exist. Almost nobody uses them unless we tell them to in Discord.

September 23, 2017 at 6:07 PM #141141
    Perfect Crab
    Participant
    Private
    Total posts : 8

Also more ways to interact with the camera would be great such as keeping the camera locked on parts your trying to move etc.

And another thing- when selecting a part in the garage perhaps instead of Boxes you tick to determine what parts you want it’d be best off changed to a simple menu?

September 25, 2017 at 1:28 PM #141168
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

Does anyone else find it a tad frustrating to try add parts around the back of a build when the short range camera kicks in and you cant see what your doing ?

September 25, 2017 at 2:03 PM #141169
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant

yeah i have to play with the zoom alot to get my part in place

September 25, 2017 at 2:39 PM #141172
    FelixT93FelixT93
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

The garage hotkeys could definitely be made more obvious in-game, the only one I’m really aware of is the one to rotate parts which happens to use the same hotkeys you use to switch weapon groups. I can’t really remember how I found out about it.

November 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM #142569
    Tchey
    Participant
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 27

I couldn’t play for several months because i’m on Linux and the game was not launching anymore, but with new WINE, updates, etc, it’s running again.

And… I love the game, great improvements for everything, but the garage…

I’ m a little disappointed to see the garage is more or less in the same state today as it was in 2014.

November 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM #142576
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 643

YOu can kind of think of MAV as 2 interlinked games, the Garage and the Combat. There has been a larger focus on the combat side recently, but that doesn’t mean I have forgotten about the Garage.

I’ m a little disappointed to see the garage is more or less in the same state today as it was in 2014.

The only aspect of the garage that is the same is attaching your part to your MAV. Every single other aspect has been reworked or improved. There have also been a lot of backend improvements to allow the number of parts that MAV has.

Functionally, the next improvement that will come to the Garage will be a point to point attachment system.

December 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM #143680
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

Except that you can still click through the menus.
    Seriously, when the menu is open, all other garage functionality should be suspended. Rolling the mouse wheel still zooms, you can still rotate around the MAV, etc. etc.

I get trying to make things intuitive and simplified, but number-of-clicks is NOT an issue here. More clicks is better, not worse.

And dragging parts to connect them should NOT be a thing. Not only does it preclude controller-only building, but it’s just… aggravating.

Click the Add Part menu. Navigate to the part you want. Click to select it. There are buttons on it- “Compare”, which allows you to navigate to and select another part to directly compare the two (with color-coded Greater Than, Less Than, Equal To stat comparisons), “Spawn Part” which makes it appear in the garage (and maybe has a ‘Quantity’ sub-screen for weapons and spacers) and “Deselect” which takes you back into menu browsing mode.

Once you’ve spawned the part in, then you click it to select it (it DOESN’T MOVE, mind you), and then click where you want it to connect to. Once it’s connected, it deselects. Click it again to select it again (the Gear Icon does this- make it happen whenever you click the part), and have a few button options for it- rotate on current connector, switch connectors, delete, duplicate, and move. Duplicate spawns a copy in the Spawn Area, a-la “Spawn Part” from the menus. Move lets you click another connector and have it connect there instead. Maybe have a “Store” button as well, which puts the part into a holding area, for when you’re experimenting with different parts and configurations, or else MOVE could let you drag the part somewhere else, with a ‘connect’ button for when a part is floating..

I think you’re okay being unable to put parts between parts like Chromehounds did- as long as you can’t select connectors that are ‘in use’, we’re cool.

But drag and drop needs to go.

December 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM #143716
    AxleNo7
    Participant
    First Lieutenant

drag and drop does not need to go, itll definitely remain my go to system regardless of additional controls.

i want more options, not less

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Topic Tags