Hello!

• July 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM #102454
    jyrine
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 18

Hi everyone! I’m jyrine.

I’m a chromehounds fan that stumbled across this gem today, and all I can say is WOW.

This thing is only in alpha stage and I’m already finding myself trying every build I can think of.

So besides hello and thanks for having me, I guess all that’s left is, how y’all doin?

July 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM #106209
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

Hey! Glad you are enjoying the game!

July 29, 2013 at 5:38 AM #106210
    jyrine
    Private First Class

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

Hey! Glad you are enjoying the game!

I’m glad someone else (with far more talent then I for this sort of thing) saw the need for another chromehounds.

Normally I thought I would be against any changes to the original formula, but I can’t complain with the subtle changes so far. I really like the Structures actually. a very unique idea, one I wish now was in chromehounds 😆

I have a question though. I know a lot of people felt the chromehounds builder was “abused” by the ability to so securely hide a cockpit with weapons, spacers, armour, etc.

Is that something you plan on having available in M.A.V.? Or are you going to somewhat force the player to have the cockpit (at least partially) exposed.

July 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM #106214
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

I am not going to ‘force’ cockpits to be exposed, as I think the ability to find new combinations to try out is an important feature.

However, there is the aspect of the ‘weakest link’ meaning if you dangle your cockpit from a really weak spacer, all someone has to do it take out the spacer to destroy you.

This already shapes how people build in quite a few ways.

July 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM #106215
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

And that is still somewhat in debate- we’re basically trying to get large enough battles (and enough battles) to get a good feel for how some of the basic mechanics work.

But like he said- one interesting thing is that weapon ‘clusters’ in CH were often arranged in long strings diagonally to take advantage of recoil to group shots better, or curved around in sheets to ‘sheath’ pits or gens- but with the ‘weakest link’ setup, this just begs for a good sniper to neuter your MAV, or a gunner or Cannoneer’s lucky shot to take away your ability to counterattack, so weapon clusters have been arranged in ‘flowerpods’ with any additional weapons attached to the first one, so they don’t dangle off each other in a string.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

July 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM #106216
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

@Anvildude wrote:

And that is still somewhat in debate- we’re basically trying to get large enough battles (and enough battles) to get a good feel for how some of the basic mechanics work.

I wouldn’t say it’s still up for debate, as I am pretty set on having it that way.

Obviously, if it ends up sucking horribly and there is no way to fix it, yeah, I would change it, but for the most part that is how it’s going to be.

July 30, 2013 at 2:45 AM #106219
    jyrine
    Private First Class

Awesome news, and thanks for the replies.

That sounds like it will be a great evolution from where Chromehounds left off. I can’t wait to see where this game gets going.

One last thing, I’ve been playing a couple days and even though I know I don’t have the best connection, I’m not seeing anyone online. Is this on my end, or am I just missing when people log on?

July 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM #106220
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

@jyrine wrote:

Is this on my end, or am I just missing when people log on?

The user base is still small enough that catching people online is still hard. It’s best to either setup a planned game, or join someone else’s planned game.

WE are growing every day, but since the user base is world wide, the times people play is pretty random.

July 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM #106222
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

I suspect there may or may not be something up with the connections system- Friday Night Fights should be providing a regular point at which we can meet (usually Fridays at 7:00 PM Eastern American time) but I haven’t seen anyone for the past few weeks.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

July 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM #106223
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

@Anvildude wrote:

I suspect there may or may not be something up with the connections system- Friday Night Fights should be providing a regular point at which we can meet (usually Fridays at 7:00 PM Eastern American time) but I haven’t seen anyone for the past few weeks.

The connection system is running perfect. It has had only ~2 mins of downtime over the last month.

You forget, less than half of the alpha members are based in the US, and only about 60 of the accounts on the message board are actual alpha members.

Of that number, only a few people actively participate in the discussion here.

From the game record database, I do see people playing quite a bit in groups of 2-3, but they all activated their accounts at the same time (or the same day at least) so I can assume they are groups of friends localing setting up a game and playing.

Also, I host a stable build server 24/7 (arena mode only) so that people have a place to join and try and meet up.

July 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM #106225
    jyrine
    Private First Class

Also, I host a stable build server 24/7 (arena mode only) so that people have a place to join and try and meet up.

Hrmmmm…..I don’t see any servers available….

Here’s what I see in arena mode.
    http://i.imgur.com/h3h2XoX.jpg?1

July 31, 2013 at 7:04 AM #106226
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

Are you running the snapshot builds, or the stable releases?

August 1, 2013 at 3:30 AM #106228
    jyrine
    Private First Class

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

Are you running the snapshot builds, or the stable releases?

snapshot builds.

August 1, 2013 at 7:09 AM #106229
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

The server I run is only with the stable build. The versions are not compatible.

August 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM #106295
    jyrine
    Private First Class

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

The server I run is only with the stable build. The versions are not compatible.

I turned off snapshot build. I don’t see the server still….However I also don’t see a difference. Is it possible even though I unchecked and applied the change its not taking effect?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.