Hornet V3 and V1-U

• January 16, 2018 at 9:05 PM #144023
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1780

After having done some tinkering on what has been one of my main builds, I figured out a few things to improve upon it.
    The wall deploy which was previously between the spacer and generator, now sits directly below the generator.
    This has a couple benefits; the number of spinal components has been reduced to two parts, provides a smaller side-profile to hit when flanked, and it doesn’t obstruct quite as much of your own 3rd person camera as it had previously.

Finding that the V1 was often easily out-maneuvered by modern bipeds (the Hunter chassis is a lot more common than it used to be) and that its shield was rarely broken, I downgraded the shield slightly and dropped the radiator in order to transfer the build from an Enforcer to a Vulcan. This bring’s the V3’s speed to almost be on par with Hunter based bipeds without the durability loss of Hunters.

The V1-U is alternate update to the V1 that maintains all the exact parts of its predecessor, but takes advantage of the restructuring of its spine. The Enforcer has a noticeably tighter turn radius and thus makes the V1-U better suited to more enclosed maps while the V3 is better in wide open maps.

Both versions are identically equipped with six LGT X.Y6 cannons and a wall deploy.

(After downloading, be sure to rename the file to be exactly current.mech. )

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Fenix. Reason: Small adjustment to the builds
    January 22, 2018 at 9:23 AM #144031
    ~Toast~~Toast~
    Participant
    Sergeant
    Total posts : 87

Wait, wait, hold up. Did you just skip 2 and go straight to 3?

January 22, 2018 at 11:59 AM #144033
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 625

The V2 was likely held in reserves. I know he only shares the ‘okay’ build but keeps some up their sleeve for multiplayer.

January 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM #144034
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Yeah, that is true that I sometimes hold back some builds but it’s usually because I want to unleash it on multiplayer first, and then release it if I felt it did well. Sometimes I skip that and release it anyway, especially now that Skynet has a tendency to spoil the surprise factor and I usually miss the game nights.

The V2 actually was released on here a while back, it was made to address a collision issue that came up in an update but I wanted to maintain the tight grouping that it had before.
    So I changed the generator to a MENR-X768, in doing so its spine became a bit weaker and its tolerance to heat was worse but the higher energy made it faster.
    I was fully aware of this but at the time heat was irrelevant outside of maybe flamethrowers and 160 machine guns which are both close range non-splash weapons.
    The higher speed counteracted those since you could stay out of their range for longer, and the goal of the Hornet in the first place was to avoid damage with its narrow profile, again, speed enhances this. (Which was actually the same line of thinking when I dropped the blade radiator from the final prototype or “V0.9” to V1 in exchange for 1km/h of speed, but took it a step further.)

Then the heat rework came, flame mines were buffed as was the HADES; bumping both of these weapons from trash tier to serious threats. Safe to say that the V2 proved very weak in the heat based meta that followed and even in No Man’s Pass it had little chance of surviving a HADES if it slammed where I was standing, or walking on flame mines for that matter.
    I basically reverted to a slightly modified “V0.9” by moving a weapon to avoid the collision issue and stuck with it ever since since it had a higher chance of surviving an explosion from a HADES.

TLDNR: The V2 exists as a released build but it fared poorly against the HADES and was abandoned, its predecessor V1 took its place as the main version to go with.

February 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM #144778
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Both versions of the current generation Hornet have had a slight revision done to them. I altered how the wall deploy was mounted so that the weapons are much closer together for tighter bumper fire.
    The radiator on the V1-U has been moved to a more relevant position.

Mech files will be attached both in this comment and in the original post. Be sure to change the file name to current.mech when you insert it into your game files.

February 9, 2018 at 11:19 PM #144806
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 136

Very interesting build

February 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM #144854
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Thank you. It’s been one of my main builds actually.

February 15, 2018 at 8:54 PM #144886
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 625

I have used it a few times in multiplayer as well. (Taken from your threads here)

It does perform really well and fits my preferences of the longer range cannons over the short range hard hitters.

March 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM #145073
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Happy it works well for you. 😀

The Hornet was built for prolonged battles, having the reach, damage, and ammo capacity to last a long time along with the thin profile to dodge direct-damage weapons and a wall deploy to absorb what you can’t avoid.
    If you like the Hornet I might recommend picking up the Yellow Jacket which is basically a slightly weaker Hornet on wheels.

Yellow Jacket

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.