M.A.V. Xbox One in Future?

• November 6, 2015 at 4:31 AM #127530
    Ace_VP
    Total posts : 1

I miss Chrome Hounds on Xbox 360 and this is just like it almost exactly like it… This should be on Xbox One it would run nice there….

We need a great mech game on the consoles

November 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM #127531
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

A port will be nice but itwill have to wait until after beta is finished. So don’t expect anything soon.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 26, 2015 at 7:04 AM #128306
    Shogun of Saido
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 112

What about PS4 ?
    I think by the time the game reaches BETA I should have one haha

Come to think of it, how many people here have a PS4 or Xbox One ?

December 26, 2015 at 9:06 AM #128309
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

I’ll get one when FFVII remake comes out.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 26, 2015 at 4:02 PM #128316
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

Consoles will come once I have the game optimized enough to actually run on the 🙂 They really are pretty low end hardware for this type of game. At least without 10 million buck to throw to engineers to help optimize everything.

December 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM #128320
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

Yeah, my laptop’s specs are roughly on par with the consoles (at least in terms of RAM, I’m not computer literate enough to tell about the rest) and it doesn’t really maintain a good frame rate with the current patch.

Typically far worse than Cyber’s streams make it look, so the consoles aren’t coming for a good long while I’d bet.

December 26, 2015 at 10:16 PM #128321
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

CPU clock speed matters a WHOLE lot for MAV. I have 4 Ghz and the consoles have 1.8 GHz. That’s a really big difference and will take a lot of effort to optimize for.

December 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM #128323
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Next up, MAV on mobile 😉

We could call it MAV Generals and turn it into a base defense / attack game.

January 15, 2016 at 6:54 AM #128826
    Shogun of Saido
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 112

What is the main difference between consile games and PC games then? Because The games that are on the latest consoles, or even the latest PS3 games for example, are looking really nice, have solid frame rates (most of the experience) and if you have a decent internet connection also a solid online experience.

Why is it that when you want to play a PC game, it takes so much effort to get a proper functioning game for everyone playing it with same graphics and resolution? Clearly a PS4 or XB1 has far more value for a gamer than a pc?

January 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM #128827
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

The biggest difference is that Consoles are running on technology that’s a couple years old. Because of that, the people that make console versions of stuff deliberately put in lower-quality textures, lower the resolutions, lock framerates down, reduce particle effects, enlarge weapon sizes (so that you have to render less of the environment) and basically cheat like a gambler with weighted dice in order to get the most performance possible out of the game.

When designing for Computer first, you don’t need to worry about all of that stuff as much, since many PC gamers have newer rigs with better technology, and can choose to increase or lower certain things to improve performance and tailor the game to what they have, getting a balance of performance and quality. For example, I can run Planetside 2 on my PC, but I turn down the shadows, have a smaller resolution, and reduce a couple other things (like particle effects) to allow it to run better for me, but I still have the Texture quality and model quality and render distance so I can still play the game well.

A lot of that ‘cheating’ is stuff like using pre-rendered animations where you can (like the steam vents in the Garage- those could easily be pre-rendered to help framerate) and reduce polygon counts and textures where you can- Cyber could probably code in something that would make the front and bottom of your MAV not render in-game, while still rendering for other players, which might reduce drawcalls and thus reduce strain for your computer. Or just have the part models switch to a lower-poly version, or do some sort of wizardry where once the MAV is saved for a game, it combines the hitboxes into a single hitbox or something. That might even be part of why Chromehounds didn’t have parts disappear when they were destroyed.

Granted, I don’t know enough about game production to know that all those things are actual optimization steps, or even that they would work to optimize- but its things like that, and more finicky stuff in the code, that allows for good looking games to run on lower-end systems (like consoles)

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

January 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM #128828
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

Games that are on console are for the most part AAA titles and are heavily optimized towards the console. The being said, ports of console games over to the PC have somewhat of a reputation of being poorly optimized for PC. It’a all about the hardware the consoles pack vs. PC. PC is a constantly evolving environment. Everyone has different rigs, and the lower powered rigs really rely on good optimization, and the higher ups can be extremely crazy who could theoretically run multiple games off of the same rig, to the point where a moderate high end rig will probably outlast several generations of consoles without upgrades, and being cost effective in the long run. Consoles provide a level playing ground in terms of performance, and provide a target area for game developers.

And just proof for the multiple games on one rig. You can go crazy with PC.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

January 15, 2016 at 4:26 PM #128849
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

Not to cut down what Legacy and Anvil said, but I do have a bit of experience with the consoles . They are both mostly right.

For a normal development, that is cross platform [PC.Xbox One, PS4], you will spend 75% of the time developing for the pc only. So out of 4 years, you will spend the first 3 only dealing with PCs. BUT, these are not normal. They are development computers that are very high end, and most importantly, nearly identical in hardware. About 18-12 months out from release, you have the platform team step in. These guys go through and start chopping down all the assets to compress them and optimize it all to work on consoles and lower PC’s. They will also handle all the platform specific code [like Xbox Live or PSN]. What gets chopped down depends on the console, but textures are ALWAYS the first to get compressed. Also, this is where people start to do GPU tricks with the resolution scaling as well. Setting all the asset lods [Level of Detail] per platform and handling platform specific optimizations [like special loading or memory handlers for the PS3 SPU’s].

QA will have setup a test lab internally at this point, with as many PC hardware configs as the can reasonably manage. It’s also very likely you will have an offsite contracted lab to do more extensive testing. You fix the things you can but eventually all the bugs run up against a ‘cost vs affected users’ analysis and the lower ones don’t get fixed before launch.

This all happens pretty rapidly, against Non movable deadlines and the measures can sometimes be quite … drastic. I have cut animations from 30 fps down 7.5 fps, compressed the hell out of it, then played it back at 4x speed, just to hit memory requirements on the Xbox 360. Or like the time I got handed Duke Nukem, which was using 90MB of animation memory, and had 4 weeks to get it to 20 MB of memory, but with the caveat that I couldn’t remove anything from the game. Fun times!

January 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM #128872
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

You poor, poor person. I don’t envy anyone who has worked on Duke Nukem Forever.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags