Mason cockpit concept

• November 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM #142869
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1784

Yep, an asymmetrical cockpit.
    The only lore I could think of for them was that they were originally built for building construction, until the revolutionary war began.
    The ease of modification for these cockpits made them a common choice among rebels early on.
    While successful, they became less common as better suited cockpits gradually took their place, extant mason cockpits are largely relegated to long range combat due to their dated protection.

Anyhow, prototype stats.
    Class: Medium
    Weight: 820
    Durability: 860
    Armour: 40
    Energy usage: 160
    Stability: 95
    Weapons per group: 5
    Weapon groups: 2
    Heat generation: 70
    Heat damage threshold: 130
    Fire delay: 0.002

Somewhat inefficient durability to weight ratio and highly susceptible to heat due to their high heat generation, the main selling point is their extremely high stability and large number of slots per group.

November 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM #142876
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 638

You created a snipers dream cockpit.

5 weapons, with 95 stability and that small of a fire delay is asking for some silly amounts of Alpha damage.

Overall though, the cockpit and back story are great ideas! I would worry about how to make the ‘weapons shelf’ not feel buggy, but other than that its really solid!

November 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM #142878
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 146

You created a snipers dream cockpit.

Heavy emphasis on the dream part

November 16, 2017 at 8:28 AM #142882
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Wait. Did I add an extra zero in that fire delay? Uh, oops.

To be fair, the idea behind the stats went through a few iterations. They were originally four groups of three (4-3) weapons but then I asked myself “is it worth investing the extra weight to replace a Stable Arrow with this?”. The answer pretty quickly became “lol no”.
    3-4 felt generic anyhow so I thought about a 3-5 layout but that was a meme at best even before dragons had their stability nerf, Masons also lack the hardpoints to feasibly do that by itself unlike Dragons. So I turned it into a 5-2 to give it a clear offensive advantage while still being different enough from any other series.

The stable arrow has a role all to itself (with occasional competition from the ceph\blacknose whose stability sometimes falls short and the Stable Dart is even worse for that) so it could use some better competition in that role.

As for the shelf, I figured just leaving a big hole there (instead of a collisionless wall) would look ugly if you were to use the cockpit without filling it with weapons.
    It’s similar to how the center weapons on a turret overlap the cockpit some. Maybe if it looked like a trio of LGT weapon shaped panels it would work.

Thank you though. 🙂

November 16, 2017 at 9:36 AM #142885
    Ruludos
    Participant
    Corporal
    Total posts : 66

I adore this cockpit. It looks so stumpy and cute :3

November 16, 2017 at 9:42 AM #142886
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

:3

November 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM #142887
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

To avoid making it feel buggy, remove the front sheet metal plate and work the model just to have enough room to fit all the different variants based on the rear of it. That’s a pretty cool idea for a pit. It’d really make for some creative build variations, that’s for sure.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

November 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM #142888
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 146

This would certainly be a unique cockpit design, I like it!

November 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM #142889
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3064

I’ve been wanting an a symmetrical cockpit like this for awhile.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

November 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM #142891
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

Make an asymmetrical cockpit, everyone loves it.

Make asymmetrical armor, everyone loses their minds!

November 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM #142925
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3064

You didn’t make it Asymmetrical enough / a Lefthand and righthand version

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

November 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM #142933
    jumping spiders are cute
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 270

oooooh. this is an awesome cockpit design. i love how it looks like a repurposed excavator turret with the cab of a combine. i LOVE that cab design, with the windshield jutting forward and up like a cobra.

hey wait..it kinda looks like the mechwarrior 3 masakari torso.

regardless, i would love to see this design in mav. finally, something that really fits the mining design.

honestly, considering it is a specialized mining cockpit, wouldnt it make sense for it to have high durability to protect the pilot from cave-ins? it would make sense for it to have very low armor though. its low profile would allow it to fit into those short tunnels. even.

also, it would make sense for the light weapon bundle to be positioned on the right side like an excavator’s arm, or like serge said, make both left and right hand cockpits.

*mind blown* IMAGINE THE SAW ATTACHED TO IT, ON A TANK CHASSIS. A REAL, DOWN AND DIRTY MINING VEHICLE.

OH SHIT CUSTOM COCKPIT LORE INCOMING

i can imagine lore involving a miner running from from a mav chasing them through old tunnels, the miner comes across this old beast, half buried at a dead end tunnel, so the miner hides inside it. the enemy mav appears around the corner and ignores the old wreck. the pilot takes the chance and the beast roars to life and what seemed like an eternal wall of dirt trapping the old machine explodes forward like a tidal wave just as the enemy mav passes it, the huge rock saw built into its right side is whirring madly, its teeth jagged and jutting like the teeth of an ogre, soon spinning too fast for the eye to see it as more than a blurry mess. the powerful tank chassis bears down on the much smaller and lighter eagle digitigrade mav, the eagle is helplessly pinned against the wall as the pilot turns the cockpit so that the mighty wheel of death connects with the enemy and tears it apart in seconds. but the blade slows down just short of ending the enemy pilot’s life in its jaws. out of gas. but the pilot is trapped, however, and so the miner retrieves the sawed off shotgun on the dashboard, exits the mmv, climbs atop the mav and turns the bastard pilot into human jelly from point blank. this man murdered our miner’s family, who can now rest in peace. the miner turns around to face the mmv that gave him hope. the clash knocked some of the caked on dirt from the old machine, revealing a bright, cat yellow paint job where it hadnt rusted to the bare metal. some deep gouges vaguely resembling letters are revealed, but the dirt is too hard to knock off by hand, and so the miner drives it home and uses a chipping hammer to clean the years of caked on dirt. the gouges read in chickenscratch, OGRE.

"As I gaze upon my tools of destruction, I know that I shall fear no evil and feel no mercy to those who would seek to destroy me, for I am the bringer of Death, and spirit of war."

November 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM #142993
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major

Well, I was thinking more of a crane to assist in building more permanent homes, ore refineries, space ports, reactors, and war factories and all that sort of fun stuff. Hence being relatively fragile (and generating a lot of heat) being originally designed for use above ground.
    I mean, sure mining was the main thing happening on Europa but you don’t just hurl a canary into a hole and start swinging pickaxes without setting up shop first. 🙂

Then again, it could’ve been modular like everything else MMV related to swap between the heavy tools.

Looking up the Masakari just now, I can see the resemblance. It wasn’t an intentional resemblance.

Cool story though.

November 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM #142996
    Rusty ShacklefordRusty Shackleford
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

Neat

Attachments:
    1. Mason-Assembly-v3

Mason-Assembly-v3.png

M.A.V. HD on Youtube and @RustEShacky on Twitter

November 18, 2017 at 11:28 PM #143009
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

That is pretty cool!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.