Mercenaries

• December 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM #127913
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3064

Totes calling hired AI mercenaries unless we get a better name.

So I picture it this way, we’ve got something like three types of mercenaries, Temporary ones for filling in holes in your battle (they take a larger cut and are stronger than untrained AI but weaker than well trained AI,think of it as a stop gap.) Then there is the ones who are part of your squad that you can recruit and stay with you. You can help train them / equip them / etc. Then there are the Faction level mercenaries that are contracted in AI only squads who defend and attack territories without the need for humans besides general orders.

Hiring Process
    Temp : In lobby there’ll be a button in the last available slot to “hire temp” and that’ll pop up an AI where you can select their roletype but nothing else.
    Squad : Out of battle you can hire as many AI as can fit in a squad, they all start out as rookies with no skills in any role type.
    Faction : Out of battle the faction leader can create as many AI squads as the faction can afford, All you can do is assign size and roletypes and based on their wages and time they become more senior and advance in toughness with better equipment and playing.

Equipment
    Faction and Squad AI at the base level start with simple builds, soldier is a biped with dragon cockpit and two ar’s, three cannons, something like a Cyber build. Faction ones range a bit but I wouldn’t force them into any builds, they get to choose as their strong independent AI who don’t need no help. Then temp ones are just random AI builds too based on their roletype selection.

I’d say you should select the AI’s build for Squad AI each match from your build file, This way you can switch them up per match That way we can build rounded AI (I’d say expertise in a roletype gives a bonus to different aspects of their AI like an AI that does sniper a lot it gets a 5% better accuracy). I’d say that you can’t 100% everything, maybe you can train two to be 100%, just some sort of total points cap allowed so instead of 600 points maybe a total of 300 (100% snp, 100% com, 32% sct, 20% sup,, 23% atk, 25% def).

Adding an AI to a battle you just click on the slot and then select the AI from the drop down then you can choose their build from a selection screen or leave it as the current build (the last one they used).

I can see a lot of fun management with AI especially with big factions pouring AI squad after AI squad into a single territory along with any human joining in and it just being a constant stream of battle.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 14, 2015 at 5:58 AM #128109
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

I really like the idea that as you build up your level of strength and influence over the campaign the AI mercs can be there to cover for you while you’re offline. Basic AI as canon fodder for less important territories, and stronger AI to protect your key territories provides the leader with some interesting choices.

Also having a squad of AI’s that grow and improve giving you a kind of RPG -style element is an interesting dynamic.
    I would imagine in the early stages when you have less funding it will be harder to protect key territories.

It’ll also be amazing when, eventually, a faction gets big enough to have human players from different continents and time zones to provide that round-the-clock presence .

December 14, 2015 at 6:27 AM #128110
    ShardnerShardner
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 220

why not call them mavericks?

"Rock is Overpowered. Paper is Fine." - Scissors

December 14, 2015 at 7:11 AM #128111
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3064

Mavricks might be our currency name, besides they’d be shortened to mercs and not mavs so we avoid that confusion unless we shorten mavricks to Ricks.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 14, 2015 at 7:14 AM #128112
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

“Mavericks” sound like a chocolate bar
    or possibly some Tom Cruise flying movie or other >.>

February 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM #129774
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

No no, we’re the Mavericks!

Also, having this sort of AI management seems really keen, and also a good stopgap for early play when there’s not as many humans around- it’ll let people build up their AI stables and still compete even if Factions only have like, 2 or 3 people in them.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.