Mountains I

• March 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM #137019
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 456

My vision of a mountains map…I see a need for many more map options in mav and would like to push forward at least ideas of functional map design. So I will build and post map ideas and would love for the communities ideas for effective dynamic maps for MAV.

His worshippers chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

March 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM #137021
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

What happened to that poor base?

Also, where’d you get the assets? Rip them outta the game through Unity?

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

March 5, 2017 at 1:03 PM #137022
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

To be honest, it kind of resembles an alternate Grassy Creek, without the creek of course.

March 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM #137024
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3214

Nice work! Would love to see an overhead view.

I agree, it is a bit similar to Grassy Creek, but that might be just because of the visual motif, not the actual layout.

I do think you need some WAG in the mid section there, as the bit flat patch is just a death sentence for anything that isn’t a sniper.

In general, the Max engagement ranges for fun is ~400 meters, and while some maps allow engagements from longer, they try to provide avenues to enable other builds to get to that 400 meter range safely.

March 5, 2017 at 3:35 PM #137027
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Warrant Officer

ok so the mountains boarder and green terrain may give the look of grass creek but the map is totally different play feel. the open terrain in the center is on purpose and there is trench work that you can use for semi cover to cross the center as well as a upper land bridge and tunnel works on both ends of map…the idea is you must use teamwork from support fire to work into close combat range. I put in 2 sticks one is a 400 meter stick and the one in center is 1200 meter stick to give idea for ranges…you can note the shell craters and trenches in center that you can use for cover by color changes. this map would play out as a sweet fast paced tactical smasher. not like grassy creek at all as there are fire points and counter fire points that all can interact with each other at the same time. I can add some wag what settings do you suggest for good wag on this scale?
    I used unity assets and some free dl stuff from store all for ty 4.2.2 so that it would be compatible with current mav unity.

Attachments:
    1. mountain-I-overhead

mountain-I-overhead.png

2. 8-meter-in-shell-crater

8-meter-in-shell-crater.png

3. 8-meter-in-trench

8-meter-in-trench.png

March 5, 2017 at 5:03 PM #137032
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

You know what this map could use? buildings all over it.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

March 5, 2017 at 5:11 PM #137033
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

When I wag I tend to do it at 1 opacity and vary the size between 3 and 15.

This could become a map, at least for Siege and Arena

March 5, 2017 at 8:54 PM #137036
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Warrant Officer

I would be very honored if it made it into the game and stoked because I truly believe it would be a rocking map option. I will do some fine tune touch up work with some novice wag.

March 6, 2017 at 7:23 PM #137049
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

No promises on it, but I am considering it for sure.

March 6, 2017 at 10:19 PM #137057
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

I like the idea behind it, especially the trenches, but it’s too box / symetrical for my tastes. It makes me think of Arena Shooters more than a more story driven location.

I’d love it if the basic bones of this was shrunken down and moved over to cover a third of the map, and then maybe do something like a C to it or something with the mountain / cavern pass dividing the two base locations so you have a tight corridors and easy defensive locations. Or you can do the half wide open half easy cover of the trench area and cliffs area. Then we have the base proper area on each side which can be whatever terrain type we’d want. Hopefully something with buildings all over them. πŸ™‚

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

March 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM #137061
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Warrant Officer

I like the idea behind it, especially the trenches, but it’s too box / symetrical for my tastes. It makes me think of Arena Shooters more than a more story driven location.

I’d love it if the basic bones of this was shrunken down and moved over to cover a third of the map, and then maybe do something like a C to it or something with the mountain / cavern pass dividing the two base locations so you have a tight corridors and easy defensive locations. Or you can do the half wide open half easy cover of the trench area and cliffs area. Then we have the base proper area on each side which can be whatever terrain type we’d want. Hopefully something with buildings all over them. πŸ™‚

here is the edited version with more of the “feel” of what I was looking for and symmetrical is pleasing to me . Added some wag, esthetic entry points, changed the lighting to the tone and added the fog effect to fill the trenches to give it that trench warfare ambience ……sexy πŸ™‚

March 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM #137062
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Warrant Officer

here is a link to the unity assets package for this scene:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9kKoJRUdCaGM09jMU16SmZTMkE/view?usp=sharing

and here is the link to the scene itself:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9kKoJRUdCaGQ2s3TjlCV3owWUE/view?usp=sharing

March 7, 2017 at 7:54 AM #137063
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

Quite like this version better, the mist covering the low ground was a good touch, feels more mountainous now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.