Paid cosmetic items

• November 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM #142875
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 638

Given the blog post today, https://bombdogstudios.com/blog/state-of-the-game-intermittent-power-outages/, I wanted to create a thread to start collecting the community thoughts on this.

We have offered paid camo packages twice, both which are limited addition. There are several cosmetic variation part available, either to past contest winners or as reward for the referral system.

While these systems were met with praise at the time, I wanted to open the debate on where the ‘line’ is. I don’t want to cross a line and while I feel like I have good instincts on this, the ‘line’ can quickly change. Please let me know your thoughts!

November 16, 2017 at 9:01 AM #142884
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1784

Overall I’m fine with them.

The Bertha is the only one that skirts near the line since it’s different enough that it is possible to place it where an Ivan could cause a collision issue but it’s rare. But the Ivan looks a lot better, so I don’t really mind not having it.

November 17, 2017 at 1:27 PM #142923
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

For paid camos, I’m all for. Allows an additional line of revenue for you both from new and current owners, and provides literally no advantage over anything else in-game. You already stick to your word of limited time only, so I can trust you won’t go back on it and re-release old camos that were a limited deal. Just don’t overdo it like new camos every week and you’ll be fine. Keep the market full on a slow drip and don’t milk it dry. Maybe having a couple of permanent camos available for purchase would also be a good idea as well so there’s always a small drip of income between the camo bundles.

Paid cosmetic parts I will say I’m against, as in such cases of the Bertha vs the Ivan, different hitboxes and spacer placement allows for different builds behind a paywall. Pulling a two-tone reskin of certain weapons would just feel like a cheap money grab. I would say save cosmetic parts for prizes for competitions you host. Same thing with same hitbox and collision but a flashy reskin would be altering the feel of the game. There is such thing as going too crazy.

Things like fireworks I’s say you could have a seasonal thing with where the same seasonal firework becomes available for purchase during that time of year, but don’t chance each year. I’d say have it so you can research the “base” firework part, and all additional fireworks can come from competitions.

Eventually, it may be time for a price raise for MAV, either to $25 or $30, as currently the only sources of income are game and camo sales, but I’d hold off on that until FPS undergoes a significant optimization with a bit more work on netcode (because we’re whores when it comes to smooth netcode).

With selling these cosmetic items, I’d say it would be worth having a well marked disclaimer that the purchases have no effect on gameplay other than cosmetic value, and all funds from cosmetic purchases are being used to further the development of MAV.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

December 2, 2017 at 6:25 PM #143677
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

I think a lot of this will depend on the finalized look of the game. A lot of assets are still placeholder, I think (environments, certain weapon effects such as explosions or tracers) and even the whole lighting system and texture look of the game may change, eventually (like utilizing full normal mapping and high-res textures on the parts- you said that the concept work was the same textures, but the in-game ones were ‘dumbed down’, correct?).

I mean, I’d like to be able to do little things like have different colors of tracers or artillery trails, maybe have fancy stuff with track patterns, that sort of thing. I’d enjoy it if I could have fire trails behind my howitzer shells, but I understand if that might be something that gets reserved for HADES rounds.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

December 2, 2017 at 10:24 PM #143695
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

Textures on the parts are all final and high res. Only difference between them and the ‘beauty shots’ are the shader (PBR for beauty) and some screen space pixel shaders (like color grading and bloom).

Environments are getting more finalized.

Paid cosmetics are like what the referral rewards parts are.

December 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM #143698
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

There any way we could get the option to use those shaders in-game? I’m fairly sure my computer could handle it.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

December 3, 2017 at 11:00 AM #143708
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3064

I’d throw in a few bucks for the classic alpha “shader” camo. I do miss that sexy sexy ai green camo.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 3, 2017 at 1:34 PM #143720
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

There any way we could get the option to use those shaders in-game? I’m fairly sure my computer could handle it.

No because the core game does not support the PBR rendering pipeline.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.