Question on Campaign Worldmap and Camouflage

• November 4, 2017 at 3:55 AM #142610
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 146

How many capture-able points will there be on the Campaign map? Reasons for this?

The faction should have their primary colour in their camouflage the same as their starting biome, and the secondary/tertiary colour the faction’s main colour. Having enemies rock up in Pink and Green ladybugs would be mental, please add in this faction (don’t you fucking dare take me seriously)

Anyways here’s what I mean. These give the factions distinct camouflages, that distinguish friend from foe (unless we get an aux that does that for us [please make one])

Note: The smaller ones are alternate versions. No faction will have the same biome colour.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Tigris.
    Attachments:
    1. CAMO-IDEA

CAMO-IDEA.png

November 4, 2017 at 4:46 AM #142613
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

From what I remember of campaign / story there will be one default faction (probably earthen alliance) and in story mode the guard and rebels would be there too. In multiplayer though its planned to allow users to create factions so we can have lady bug pink and neon camos.

The number of territories hasn’t been determined yet as that needs some playtesting. The idea is that wars will last a few days and not months with thousands of users like Chromehounds.

The reason for the smaller wars is that last I remembered users can spin up their own war servers like arena / siege servers so there can be multiple wars on at once.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

November 4, 2017 at 8:25 AM #142614
    Rusty ShacklefordRusty Shackleford
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

I always thought it would be nice to have environment and squad themed camouflage patterns for the story, but I really like your faction-wide themes.

M.A.V. HD on Youtube and @RustEShacky on Twitter

November 4, 2017 at 2:24 PM #142622
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 643

Current design of war mode will not allow players to spin up their own instance, as it is a full MMO type system.

Wars will typically last 3 months. There will be thousands of capture points.

A lot of questions can be answered by this infographic: https://bombdogstudios.com/forums/topic/campaign-mode-plan/

Key think to remember, Chromehounds did some cool things, but there are lots of ways to improve it. I plan to improve it, so don’t expect a 1 to 1 of what that system was.

November 4, 2017 at 3:20 PM #142631
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant

Fuck, thousands!

So this is planet-wide?!?!?

WWOOW

November 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM #142632
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant

Will Europa be split into hexagons, going with the main theme of the game and the size of the worldmap? Or will you be using a lattice system like in Chromehounds?

How will you deal with ghostcapping? Some squads may log on at off-peak hours and tear shit up, with little resistance. Will AI players defend if there is nobody to do so?

November 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM #142633
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Well darn. But I want my local sector to be sexy and rsi themed. 😛 #Guard #PraiseGlacier

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

November 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM #142635
    Participant
    Master Sergeant

How will you deal with ghostcapping? Some squads may log on at off-peak hours and tear shit up, with little resistance. Will AI players defend if there is nobody to do so?

I feel like this kind of thing can be dealt with by weighing player vs player battles much more heavily than those fought with just AI. Eagerly awaiting to see how Cyber handles it.

November 4, 2017 at 7:10 PM #142636
    FenixFenix
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1787

I feel like this kind of thing can be dealt with by weighing player vs player battles much more heavily than those fought with just AI.

That’s exactly how it worked in Chromehounds.

November 4, 2017 at 11:47 PM #142656
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

From a game design stand point, it’s an incredibly interesting thing. It needs to scale from 10-10,000 players (concurrent) and still allow each player to feel like they are actually making a difference.

I have a plan in place and have paper tested it as much as I can. Suppose it’s time to just make it now…

The big things I wanted to avoid were just grinding down a progress bar and allowing teams to just power grind maps in off peak hours.

There will also be lots of special events. Like, in one match, you might fight ‘Brasswolf’ herself. And if you kill her, well, she dies in the lore.

November 5, 2017 at 6:36 AM #142663
    Participant
    Master Sergeant

Axle is going to personally hunt down and kill every character in the lore.

November 5, 2017 at 6:39 AM #142664
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

There is probably a priority for larger battles too. 6v6 could be say 12x the weight of a 1v1 and there is almost no weight for battles that only last x seconds and one team self destructs.

November 8, 2017 at 11:35 PM #142749
    Forum Admin
    Chief Warrant Officer

I feel like I should move this to the dedicated campaign section. Thoughts?

November 9, 2017 at 2:16 AM #142751
    TigrisTigris
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant

Yes, move it

December 2, 2017 at 6:05 PM #143673
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

Noooo, not my Claire!

Actually, there’s a question- would characters be a thing that’s server-by-server based, then?

Would you be able to support your AI Characters?

And Camo becomes that much more important without any sort of FoF system.

Like, I’m imagining the paint patterns being a little more “See allies through battlefield smoke” than “hide in the bushes”.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Anvildude.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.