Server Concept

• October 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM #102130
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

The current dedicated server that comes with the game client, gameplay wise, I have no strife with. But, would a type of log of sorts be possible to tell if anyone has come or gone. Sort of like a Minecraft Server, where it has the scroll option so the host can tell if anyone came on, and have the side-box with the players who are currently on. The ability to view the current map from the server like it is now is awesome, but it, in my opinion, lacks some information, as mentioned previously.

I really want to start running the server frequently, which I am running the demo server now, but I do not know if anyone is able to connect, and have no way of telling such on my end if anyone is on without entering the game, or has come on.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

October 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM #104241
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

I 100% agree with you that the server needs more commands.

It also needs a way to switch levels (for siege and arena mode) and kick/ban players, and other things.

It will defiantly be something I put in.

October 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM #104242
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

I 100% agree with you that the server needs more commands.

It also needs a way to switch levels (for siege and arena mode) and kick/ban players, and other things.

It will defiantly be something I put in.

All of what you said seems like a very good ideas for the moment for the Dedicated Servers we all have now, but will there be some sort of Primary Server setup in the future when Multiplayer is all set up, and everything finalized? The Dedicated Servers later on seem like a very good place for things such as Free Battles and Training, whereas the Primary Server could have a different setup which handles the actual War, or to avoid what happened with Chromehounds, all the Dedicated Servers relay information back and forth to the Primary which in turn, changes what is happening in the War, allowing there to be no Central cutoff switch. And, if the Primary needs to shut down for a while, the War could freeze as is and players could get a message upon entering that no changes will take place for that given time.

This is all mainly for a realm of debate and theory, but it was that one central kill-switch that doomed us all in the end, and eventually, led us here.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

October 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM #104243
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

I currently don’t have plans for a centralized server of any kind (other then a simple server that allows the server browser). A lot of this is due to prevent the ‘1 kill switch’ and the other is just scale. You need a vastly different setup to handle 3,000 players versus 30.

With that said, I am doing advanced planing with the server architecture, so that massive servers will be possible, if not available right away.

A lot of this has to do with separating the battles from the mundane parts (like inventory tracking) and from the other battles.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.