Territories

• December 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM #127892
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

So we got four stages of territories based on how beefed up they are.This should be shown visually in battle with bigger walls and defenses, but we can get more onto that later.

What I want to talk a out is upgrades and garrisons. A map can have a lot of defenses added such as turrets, mine fields (marked in pre,game lobby for defenders), minimavs such as mobile turrets that are just fodder for the most part like tanks that is a chassis and cockpit in one unit with 1~3 weapons strapped on top, and an assortment of walls and other obstacles.

Besides those we have the meta upgrades such as increased income which is shown by more buildings and taller ones. Manufacturing sites which are warehouses / labs with explosive stuff near them / company specific build boards.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM #127895
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

One thing that can be done about territories is if an invading force comes in, takes over a fortress while doing minimal damage, it remains a fortress. And things like warehouses/oil drums could be direct areas of resources, and if those are destroyed, that income would be lost and would cost money of the faction to rebuild. Unoccupied territories should generally regain their original stat bonuses/fortifications over time if abandoned purposefully or left by a disbanded/defeated faction. War ravaged territories can have a negative income, giving reason to purposefully abandon. But please keep any mines in the map placed down over the course of battles. Make it very real and any map very scary for everything minus hovers, especially the contested ones.

And for fortifications, I would really like to see a sort of “map editor” so you can build your defenses around strategic areas by entering the map as a surveyor build, and place them using a similar, yet slightly more in depth system that we have now revised for mass building. Everyone loves building their own things, especially because the defenses/bonuses mean something to winning. I don’t think I’ve actually played a game with that design actually, but I would love to see one.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

December 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM #127896
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

There will be more that 4 stages, that was just an example. Each upgrade will be a separate thing, so you can upgrade wall separate from turrets and so forth.

Not sure it will be total free form building though. The current idea is each level will have designated spots for the upgrades. Since there is likely going to be some map reuse, variaying what is actually avalible on a per territory level will help make ‘Giant Leap #3’ feel different from the other ones. Imagine a Giant leap without the refinery and instead a mini base with turrets there instead.

December 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM #127901
    Lieutenant Colonel

I’d be fine for designated spots, but give us a room for creativity/ strategy, but I would want them to be free form. People could abuse a full map free form in this game to crazy levels.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

December 9, 2015 at 6:42 AM #127945
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

For.visuals of territories I imagine them not touching eachother and instead have lines / paths / roads connecting them. They have a separate mesh on the planet that resembles their map (low poly mostly drawn on) and they start as a hex overlay. Then as it builds up the hex gets larger and little hexes start coming off it so it looks more and more impressive as you add to it.

The size of the area the territory hexes cover in it’s control bubble denotes at a glance how built up it is while zooming in on it shows a mini 3d of the map.

"I think you are going to like what I am doing even more than I like your comparison tool and I like your tool a LOT"

December 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM #128049
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Going to pop this in here since I probably put this image in the wrong thread.

Anyway here is a quick version of what I had in mind for how territories and the global map could look. What is missing is when you zoom in you can see a very basic layout of the map the territory is, chrome hounds did this pretty well with the 2d image of the provinces as each “battle area” had landmarks on the selection screen that looked like the maps landmarks.

Also what is missing is stuff like territory name / owner / stats that would be there by default before you click on it for more information.

Attachments:
    1. mapexamplequicky1

mapexamplequicky1.png

December 11, 2015 at 4:44 PM #128055
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

Looks pretty cool!

January 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM #129074
    Lieutenant Colonel

Some Russian viral video link. Is there a way the mods can ban these accounts?

January 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM #129077
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel

Marking them as spam removes them from non-mod view, only cyber can ban now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.