The Long Range Brawler

• January 30, 2014 at 2:23 AM #102739
    DarkonFullPower
    Private
    Total posts : 14

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

I am impressed! I think that is the first 6 sniper build the game has seen.

T_T I should have posted mine back when this subfourm only had 2 posts in it.

A long LONG time ago, the term “Brawler” did not mean close range combat alone. It once was a term that referred to any mech that, instead of grabbing cover when attacked, would instead take the damage and retaliate head on. It did NOT have to be a close ranged fighter, just to be able to stand firm under fire, and counter attack.

That, was my play style. The Long Range Brawler.

[attachment=2:2lfvw93l]screenshot_11.png[/attachment:2lfvw93l]
    [attachment=1:2lfvw93l]screenshot_12.png[/attachment:2lfvw93l]
    Everything I learned in Mechwarrior Online goes into this build. Rotate the torso, double your life span. Cockpit built on top of it’s generator, but hitting it from the front without hitting the cockpit or the treads first would take mad skill and level elavation, which is where you DON’T want to be when fighting this thing. Back is also protected by armor, just in case.

It takes a lot of skill to deflect bullets with the shields, quickly rotate and take your shot, and continue the rotation to the other side, but when you pull it off, then you can go anywhere you want on the battlefield with little the enemy can do about it. Only uncovered weakness is the center sniper cannon on both sides. If that goes, then that side goes. You have to keep your cockpit moving in all directions and all times, or you’re dead. Cockpit is weak too, so time your shots carefully.

[attachment=0:2lfvw93l]screenshot_13.png[/attachment:2lfvw93l]
    Variant of the above build. Replaces the back armor for more armored cockpit.

January 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM #107773
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

This is the sort of build that splash damage was meant to fight against.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

January 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM #107776
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

@Anvildude wrote:

This is the sort of build that splash damage was meant to fight against.

It actually has pretty good splash protection. Splash damage right now is not pure AOE, it has to have line of sight to each part, so the armor and treads will protect it pretty well.

(Old art Style) Video showing it in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSTlHLCJQvw

[Until air burst howitzer rounds become a thing.]

January 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM #107781
    DarkonFullPower
    Private

What’s that? Not enough defense? OK! I’MMA MAKE A BOX!

[attachment=2:1erxz3h8]screenshot_7.png[/attachment:1erxz3h8]
    [attachment=1:1erxz3h8]screenshot_9.png[/attachment:1erxz3h8]
    [attachment=0:1erxz3h8]screenshot_10.png[/attachment:1erxz3h8]
    (And with that I have lost all respect on this forum forever.)

Used 160-.x2 snipers this time around (still using Armored Dart) and replaced the back armor with a Repair Deploy, cause MOAR ARMOR GET.

Btw everything is brown so that everything blends together, making hard to see that everything is on top of a very low health generator. More dark colors plz.

January 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM #107787
    CN Naglfar
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 142

I really like your build but you have one major weakness and thats from the front. You said above ” quickly rotate and take your shot, and continue the rotation to the other side”. I have a couple questions for you:

How are you able to make a clean shot if your rotating?
    Did you know that if your treads go, your whole MAV will be disabled?

January 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM #107794
    DarkonFullPower
    Private

@CN Naglfar wrote:

How are you able to make a clean shot if your rotating?
    Did you know that if your treads go, your whole MAV will be disabled?

To the first question, during a rotation to the other side, for the split second your crosshair is over your opponent, you fire. Leaning to do this and make your mark each time was one of the key factors in how good you were as a brawler in most Mechwarrior games.

To the second, You don’t shoot at heavily armored treads unless you feel you have to. But doing so takes pressure off of my rotations. Thus, it forces the player to make a hard choice. Go after hard to hit weakpoints or simply keeping pressure on me, or focus on the treads and thus allowing me to spent more time lining up my shots.

I guess the best way to explain is that you have to use raw skill to cover the frontal weakness of this build. An unskilled pilot will just get massacred using this mech.

January 31, 2014 at 1:25 PM #107813
    CN Naglfar
    Participant
    Staff Sergeant
    Total posts : 142

@DarkonFullPower wrote:

You don’t shoot at heavily armored treads unless you feel you have to.

I will shoot out mobility first, why you say:
    1. Slows your ability to move
    2. Slows your ability to rotate(Might be Cockpit not sure)
    3. Also a kill shot -If Mobility is gone so is your mech NO damage transfer like CH
    4. Biggest target(Treads) on your M.A.V.

January 31, 2014 at 6:26 PM #107814
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

But you forget that the legs normally have 2-3 times the health of a cockpit or normal part. So it’s a trade off for sure.

February 2, 2014 at 5:03 AM #107834
    DarkonFullPower
    Private

@Cyberdogs7 wrote:

But you forget that the legs normally have 2-3 times the health of a cockpit or normal part. So it’s a trade off for sure.

^ +1

Those treads are at least in the top 5 for HP and Armor among leg parts. Sure you can hit them, but as Cyberdogs7 said, you’ll be going through around 2-3 times more ammo that way. And from my playing around in this game, ammo can be very scarce without a repair drop.

There are 2 real weaknesses of this build though. Rapid fire, and NOT shooting.

Rapid fire is obvious, if I don’t have the timing to rotate safely, then I either can’t attack, or let you attack my weak points.

But if you choose to not shoot at me and just wait until I try to attack you, then I have to try and aim, shoot, and turn to a shield all before your return fire hits me. At mid range the mech just can’t turn that fast, and I will take at least a cockpit hit from it. Even if I can do it, my accuracy is going to be much less with all that pressure. You can also fire with a weaker weapon group to bait out me turning, and then attack full force with the rest once I do so.

The only way to cover those weaknesses is to remember that this is (normally) a TEAM game. I’m not the only mech you need to worry about. But at the same time, if you leave me alone I become as deadly as any other sniper.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.