Weather Systems

• September 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM #102121
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3213

So, I am spending some time working on the framework for a true dynamic weather system, and since you guys had such great ideas before, what type of weather do you want to fight in?

What types of things should the weather affect?

September 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM #104144
    LegacyElite84LegacyElite84
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Total posts : 2516

Snowstorms, sandstorms, pitch black, stormy nights. Things that thermal or night vision optics would be essential for.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

September 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM #104148
    Thmdg
    Private First Class
    Total posts : 28

Wouldn’t it be cool if……..you could link whatever system that generates your weather to the Weather channels forecast for the day and poof,in game it goes.Ofcourse I guess that would mean the world map would have to be loosely based off of the US.Just throwing it out there,but in reality I have no idea how a game gets made,it is like black magic to me.I might say something useful to you eventually though.I know enough to see that he “poof”part of my post is where the problem may be.

September 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM #104149
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

I actually thought about linking the systems to real world weather, but honestly, the real weather is boring. (Plus, you are not likely to be playing in a thunder storm)

I will have the World weather linked to the individual levels weather. I don’t have this in yet, but it will be. So if you see a thunder storm over a level marker, when you go into that level it will be in the middle of a thunder storm.

September 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM #104151
    Thmdg
    Private First Class

Is that even possible to link real world weather to game weather??????If so,I cannot recall a game that did that yet.Seems game mechanics that no one has done yet gets said game noticed by certain online publications,which could be beneficial,the attention that is.Perhaps model the weather after a more volatile part of the world to make it less boring.But this does sound rather complicated,again I don’t know the technical end of it.

September 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM #104152
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

It’s rather easy to link stuff to real world weather data, as there are plenty of free online databases you can tap into. I do believe one of the flight simulators had this option (Maybe Flight X).

Really though, that only works if you have a model based on the actual earth and you have a very slow gameplay (like a flight simulator).

September 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM #104154
    Thmdg
    Private First Class

Well in that case,I really like the thunder storm scenario.I have visions of searching for the enemy in almost darkness with the rain coming down,the occasional lightning burst to light the way,sort of like and old horror flick but instead of a vampire popping out of what seems nowhere,it’s a giant robot with cannons staring at you in the pit…….yea I like that.You thinking just ambiance type weather?or would something like say tornadoes/hurricane events that could actually impact gameplay?I know this is not a weather sim game,but it could possibly keep the games replay value high with small details like the such.On a different note what do you think of having other player builds for sale as a schematic?Seems like it would be a good idea for the player that thinks the build system is too complicated or just do not want to spend that much time building their own(you know the casual player).Perhaps to motivate player to submit a particular build,some sort of leader board for such things.It may help for the newbeie to have access to advanced builds without figuring it all out.One more thing,if your in one particular faction are you only going to able to use their weapons only,or does everyone use the same weapons,regardless of faction,country etc?

September 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM #104155
    Lieutenant Colonel

@Thmdg wrote:

On a different note what do you think of having other player builds for sale as a schematic?Seems like it would be a good idea for the player that thinks the build system is too complicated or just do not want to spend that much time building their own(you know the casual player).Perhaps to motivate player to submit a particular build,some sort of leader board for such things.It may help for the newbeie to have access to advanced builds without figuring it all out.One more thing,if your in one particular faction are you only going to able to use their weapons only,or does everyone use the same weapons,regardless of faction,country etc?

It’s not a good idea to spoon-feed the new people. Give them a swift kick in the right direction, yes. But don’t hand it to them; it takes the fun out of learning the game. But the idea of a trading post for M.A.V. schematics for everyone doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.

Part time filthy. Part time opportunist. Full time goat. "Holy f*** that was the greatest thing I have heard from your keyboard." - Cyberdogs7 on my top quality shitposting.

September 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM #104156
    Cyberdogs7
    Participant
    Colonel

About the massive weather systems (like tornadoes and hurricanes) would that be fun, or would that just be cool?

My initial goal was just ambiance type weather, which would still impact gameplay. It would mainly affect viability, which would although different builds to gain an advantage. So if the weather causes a low visibility, then short range M.A.V.’s will be able to attack a base that they might have normally been in-effective at (do to snipers and other long range weapons).

As for the hand holding, there will be a little bit. There will be stuff like the Auto-build function for the MAV and some tutorials, but I am not shying away form depth. The hand holding is only going to be there so anyone can pick up the game and play. The depth will be there so hardcore players can tweak and master the game.

Thing of it a bit like street fighter, and that anyone can pick a character and spam random buttons. It’s not very effective against a good player, but it is enough so that causal person still had fun.

September 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM #104157
    Thmdg
    Private First Class

Games are both cool and fun,more like a hook.More bait in the water the more fish you catch.Make no mistake I am hardcore when robots,building and blowing stuff up is involved.I was referring to the casual player,the ones with the deep pockets,the ones who out number the hardcore players.Those are the gamers that make you money,I hear alot of “the learning curve is too steep”and an otherwise top notch game lives a short life,I want this game to succeed badly,as it is my type of game,but can’t do it without masses.I Love depth in a game-bring it,just make it balanced for the noobs.Too many commas I think.

September 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM #104158
    Lieutenant Colonel

@Thmdg wrote:

Games are both cool and fun,more like a hook.More bait in the water the more fish you catch.Make no mistake I am hardcore when robots,building and blowing stuff up is involved.I was referring to the casual player,the ones with the deep pockets,the ones who out number the hardcore players.Those are the gamers that make you money,I hear alot of “the learning curve is too steep”and an otherwise top notch game lives a short life,I want this game to succeed badly,as it is my type of game,but can’t do it without masses.I Love depth in a game-bring it,just make it balanced for the noobs.Too many commas I think.

Perhaps something like Chromehounds did with the ranking system to give a check on general skill levels, and who goes against who. And I think it’ll be easy enough to avoid boosting by learning from the key causes of it.

September 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM #104159
    Thmdg
    Private First Class

Yes I agree,that system worked well in the matchmaking dept.lt had a good lobby system
    Except for that one guy that did not have their hound ready,this game would definetely benifet from something similar.

November 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM #106601
    JON
    Lance Corporal
    Total posts : 40

I like the subtle breeze. It gives a sense of realism and clears smoke away from your screen. Also a small tactical advantage. 😀 I remembered my password!

November 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM #106604
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

Blizzards. Proper blizzards. Ones where, if you stay still too long, your chassis starts icing over, slowing or stopping you. Can’t see ten feet in front of you without Thermal. Blows your weaponry off course.

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

December 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM #106951
    wartang
    Total posts : 3

if you do decide to play in a thunder storm would/could you get zapped by lighting and what would happen?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.