Weather Systems

• December 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM #106937
    Leonhardt
    Corporal
    Total posts : 68

@wartang wrote:

if you do decide to play in a thunder storm would/could you get zapped by lighting and what would happen?

Probably nothing. Like if your car got struck.
    Though it could detonate the ammo in one of your weapon pods, destroying it.

December 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM #106939
    pharomachrus
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 221

@wartang wrote:

if you do decide to play in a thunder storm would/could you get zapped by lighting and what would happen?

Maybe briefly disrupt your radar or electronic equipment?

December 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM #106932
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

Scare the piss out of you and briefly disable the audio and visual feeds from everything?

December 14, 2013 at 3:36 AM #106930
    Leonhardt
    Corporal
    Total posts : 68

Cause your MAV’s AI to go out of control and start moving on it’s own

December 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM #106749
    Kippeth
    Participant
    Lance Corporal
    Total posts : 41

Weather options i wouldve gone with are;
    Clear Sky
    Overcast
    Light Rain
    Heavy Rain
    Fog
    Snow
    Sand-Storm
    Hail
    Heat-Wave

Primary effects could be map specific for various climates as well as including M.A.V effects.

Day
    Twilight
    Night

Secondary (time) could alternatively be fully dynamic.

i would prefer that effects/time are seen before deploying in order to better optomise your builds.

February 20, 2017 at 9:25 AM #136522
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

Here’s some ideas on weather and their effects on the gameplay.

Rain / Thunderstorms
    There could be a “strength” setting so it can go from just a light drizzle to raining cats and dogs. The thunder could be a separate slider. The idea of having them separate is so we could have dry thunderstorms or it could be somewhere at the end of the slider so it’s super heavy rain with thunder and then almost no rain with thunder.

Depending on the rain intensity it could lower heat values across your build such as -0.2 in a mist, -1 in a light rain, -5 in a heavy rain.

We don’t have to have lightning hit people, but if it did it could add +10 heat on the part that is hit and disable the gun camera / map / health bars for a few seconds.

Sandstorms / Snowstorms / Fog
    I’ll combine these three together because it’s the “low visibility” versions for brown / green / white maps. The main effect of these is just obscuring vision so engagement ranges become a lot closer or you’d need something like thermals for it. Who knows we could place this on a slider as well so it could become more / less intense or more / less sparse so there are clumps of obscurity, who knows? A cool option could be having the storms roll in after 3~ minutes of battle or roll out after 5 minutes and then the whole map dynamic changes.

Time of Day
    The last option I can think of it having a few different light levels for the maps.

• Day – Near the middle of the day with lots of light (when weather effects aren’t in place) and relatively warmer
    • Dusk / Morning – Lower light / sun is near the horizon so we’ve got longer shadows
    • Night – The sun is down and everything is dark, night maps hype!
    • OPTIONAL Twilight – Fourth setting if we can manage it where the sun is almost down and the maps sort of need night vision / thermals but can be played without it.
    February 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM #136524
    TewdrigTewdrig
    Participant
    Warrant Officer
    Total posts : 467

the real weather is boring

Weather itself might be boring when it’s weak, but consider that the weather will never be the focus of MAV. I mean unless you’re so into weather you’d want it to be, like having to build something that wouldn’t be torn apart in gale force winds. I don’t know how I’d feel about that, can’t say good or bad.

My argument FOR ‘boring’ weather would be that it adds some flavor. It doesn’t take the spotlight of a level or a game, it just adds some zing. “Look at this screenshot from that match on sunday, I hit level 50 from that match and there was lightning striking all over, it was awesome.” or, “The day we lost the war last season it was raining. The skies cried for the miners.” or “The sun shafts coming through the clouds was how I knew we’d win.” If the weather is boring for the most part it would also allow extravagant weather or uncommon atmospheric shit to be even nicer. Say a lovely sunset during a match, that would be rare in the event of rain or something. On some levels that might rain almost constantly like new amazon it would be gorgeous to get a break in the clouds for a sunny match. Europa DOES have an ionosphere. I think the aurora would be a gorgeous thing to catch in a screenshot now and then.

I feel like there’s some value in having boring weather. Not many games have varying weather whatsoever, that’s already some flavor and flare that most games can’t boast. I say put the boring stuff in first, then if you think the game really needs it or would benefit from it toss in some europan typhoons or firestorms or something. Maybe if you do add those later solar radiation storms would make the aurora a terrifying thing to see. Weapon cams could BSOD and vision modules could go haywire. Maybe turrets would fire randomly before shorting out. Mines could explode for no rhyme or reason. Might be cool.

February 20, 2017 at 7:49 PM #136552
    Major Warrior
    Participant
    Private
    Total posts : 11

If anything I would say any and every sort of weather will work just fine. Some maps where the fog is thick as hell and some where the rain and thunder is so loud that you can’t hear the MAV coming up behind you. Some maps where they get flooded so you can’t see if an enemy has been in this area or not.

I don’t think there is really anything that anyone here wants specifically but just having the option there would be great.

February 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM #136577
    Anvildude
    Participant
    Major
    Total posts : 1884

I think that liquid rain should be somewhat rare. Mostly snowstorms, slush, maybe hail.

An interesting feature of weather would be the sound side of things- people don’t realize how much sound affects their awareness of the situation, so having rain or fog or snow that muffles footsteps and makes it hard to figure out where gunshots are coming from could really add some dynamism to the gameplay.

And Big Weather should be a rarity. As awesome as enormous thunderstorms would be, they shouldn’t be common. Blizzards, maybe. Thundersnow, once in a blue moon. Maybe even tie certain weather patters (Thundersnow woudl work for this, actually) to world events- make it so that when someone deploys a Secret Weapon, a Thundrsnowstorm springs up somewhere on the map.

But yeah, lightning could be fun. Either scaring the piss outta people, or make it so it strikes the tallest thing in an area and strikes more often on mountaintops or hills. It could deal enough heat to melt most parts, so it could be a rare ‘natural intervention’ in fights.

February 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM #136579
    Rovendoug
    Participant
    Corporal
    Total posts : 54

I think that liquid rain should be somewhat rare. Mostly snowstorms, slush, maybe hail.

An interesting feature of weather would be the sound side of things- people don’t realize how much sound affects their awareness of the situation, so having rain or fog or snow that muffles footsteps and makes it hard to figure out where gunshots are coming from could really add some dynamism to the gameplay.

And Big Weather should be a rarity. As awesome as enormous thunderstorms would be, they shouldn’t be common. Blizzards, maybe. Thundersnow, once in a blue moon. Maybe even tie certain weather patters (Thundersnow woudl work for this, actually) to world events- make it so that when someone deploys a Secret Weapon, a Thundrsnowstorm springs up somewhere on the map.

But yeah, lightning could be fun. Either scaring the piss outta people, or make it so it strikes the tallest thing in an area and strikes more often on mountaintops or hills. It could deal enough heat to melt most parts, so it could be a rare ‘natural intervention’ in fights.

I agree with this sentiment and of Tewdrig’s as well.

In my opinion, having the ability to “forecast” the weather gives another level of strategy to the Campaign mode. Maybe have fixed modes for Arena and Seige, but a persistent weather system for the Campaign would be amazing. The only issue I can think of, being a software dev as well, is mapping in game regions to IRL regions. This way your weather systems are realistic and the data can be found and assessed.

But, for right now I think Serge’s modes of weather will be ideal for the extent of gameplay that is available to the normal user.

February 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM #136632
    SamuraiZebraSamuraiZebra
    Participant
    Second Lieutenant
    Total posts : 298

Or could some comsys/uplink data become sketchy because of electric interference.

Weather systems could affect ambient heat applied to MAv and your (the players) standard visibility. Comsys interference would be cool though.

March 25, 2017 at 3:44 AM #137495
    RustyShackyRustyShacky
    Participant
    Master Sergeant
    Total posts : 244

Predictable weather is a must for me. Especially if there is some kind of gameplay element for the more severe weather events for players to coordinate around. I too prefer the more “boring” weather with something severe enough to alter gameplay only being the rare exception. I would probably start testing with a high number like a 25% chance so everyone could get it out of their system and get sick of it (or not) early on. I suspect people would settle with crazy weather only happening 5-10% of the time since matches are relatively short and you can get a good amount in during a single session.

Affects on gameplay could include:

Comms system jamming: Shortened range of all comms equipment to force players and their assets to be more tightly coordinated.

Map fog of war: Huge blind spots on areas of the overhead map.

Visual impairments: Overall view distance limits, plus rain/snow/sand blowing across the screen

Thermal: Overheating, free cooling, MAVs blending in or standing out more from the environment.

Night (please): Night vision can’t see through fog, but has longer range and better detail than thermals. Flood lights, flares, cool light shows.

May 31, 2018 at 1:47 PM #145842
    Rovendoug
    Participant
    Corporal

Depending on some of the future updates planned for 2018, it’d be interesting to see if any of these concepts begin popping up or not.

I know this conversation seems to have drifted off, but after getting back into Pokemon Go as something to play with M’Wife while getting out on errands, a generated weather system would really add a subtle level of strategy to even the current Arena and Seige game modes.

June 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM #145923
    SergeDavidSergeDavid
    Colonel
    Total posts : 3065

As long as you know the weather conditions before the match starts.

August 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM #146125
    Rovendoug
    Participant
    Corporal

Agreed. Though, drastic weather change mid game would be cool. Not sure if it’d be a wanted feature or not.

The forum ‘Gameplay Wish List’ is closed to new topics and replies.