"Why We Fight"- fan-made introductory video

• July 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM #138975
    Anvildude
    Major
    Total posts : 1977

Tewdrig mentioned interest on the Discord in this, so here we go.

For a long time now (like a year or more) I’ve had an idea floating around in my head of, well, an intro cinematic for MAV. Now, I’m not a part of the production team, and so I don’t have any official backing for this- add to that the fact that my own personal headcanon of MAV and the revolution is rather different from Cyberdog’s (and only a little different from the PROFESSIONAL WRITER’S version)…

In any case- this is probably not going to become officially sanctioned, but I want to do it anyways.

Here’s the script, as it stands currently. It’s rough (like, super rough) because I tend to write a little stream-of-consiousness when doing writing projects, but I hope it gets the idea across.

Feel free to give comments, constructive criticism. Note that I don’t intend for this to follow the given lore perfectly- this is based on how I’d like for the story to go, not necessarily how it will be. And Europa is a frozen ice-moon in my version. Nyarnyar.

Okay, start: dark screen. Light comes on. Interrogation room, woman winces in light.

(Claire?)

over intercom, Man says, “We know you’re with the resistance. Start talking.”

Claire speaks: “All we ever wanted, was a home. A world to call our own.”
    beat
    BOOM! Jupiter, music suddenly cuts in (Jupiter, bringer of Jollity? from The Planets

suite), sweep around to see Europa come into view, with tiny ships in orbit. Cut, pan

across industrial landscape.

“But you never intended for this world to be OURS, did you?”- sweep goes across a huge

“Property of” style sign, of the govs/’bad guy’ logo. Cut back to Claire in room.

“I remember when I was little,”- cut to young!Claire in greenhouses- “I visited gardens,

hidden deep in the ice”- little running hands across hydroponics, face lighted by the

glow. “I didn’t know they were illegal, didn’t know why they were secret.”- this during

Adult!Claire in room segment. View from camera?

“Such a wonderful place should be shared with everybody! I thought”- now cut back to

Young!Claire, eating fresh lettuce “And the taste of the vegetables they grew, so much

better than the paste you sold.”

“But one day, an alarm went off. My sister shoved me into a cabinet, hidden. But the

door was open, just a crack. I could see…” Show Earthen troops busting up the place-

shadows on Claire’s face, cutaway/discretion shots.

Back to Present Room! “It was two days (weeks?) before anyone found me.”

Past: “I had to wash blood off the crushed plants to survive.”

Room: “And all because you couldn’t STAND the thought of us being self-sufficient.” slams

hands on table, glares at camera.

Show Miners waiting outside commisaries, working, tables with little food. “You had to

keep us controlled, keep us in your debt, keep us your slaves.”

Shows them gearing up, converting MMVs into MAVs “That is why we fight. That is why we

will never stop. Not until we have taken this world from you, and Europa stands proud as

a liberated world, all her peoples free from your tyranny.”

Back to Room- Claire being a little smug: “Really, I feel sorry for you. You think

you’re just doing your job, but we can’t see it that way. And so you’ll either go back to

your sorry mudball of a planet, or you’ll die here, your body and blood becoming dirt for

our crops.”

Sounds of fighting- explosions, gunshots outside wall.

“Either way, you’ll never understand.”

Wall busts down, MAV drives through, opens, pilot tosses Claire a helmet, she climbs up.

Last shot of MAV leaving busted room, from camera again- Claire voiceover

“this is why we fight.”

The Crotchety Old Man of MAV

July 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM #138978
    Bombdog StudiosBombdog Studios
    Forum Admin
    Sergeant Major
    Total posts : 413

I like it!

For sure a character evolution of Claire, but I think the tone of the piece matches well!

July 17, 2017 at 5:04 PM #138994
    Anvildude
    Major

I had this concept in mind before I learned of Claire, but she seemed to fit the mold pretty well, so I slid her in. (Like, seriously, the character I wrote for this was straight up a female Europa native with an older sister).

July 17, 2017 at 7:04 PM #139007
    lorddelvinlorddelvin
    Participant
    Sergeant Major
    Total posts : 436

Nice work… good visuals drawn from words…. fits my definition of art…. the transfer and amplification of emotional energy trough a conduit media that continues to resonate.

His worshippers chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

July 22, 2017 at 1:07 PM #139244
    Anvildude
    Major

Hrm. I think I might change it from lettuce to cabbage…

Also, what do you all think about that bit? Too graphic? I mean, not in terms of what it is, but in terms of whether or not it fits the tone of the rest of the narrative.

Same with the whole bit where Claire starts insulting the guard- should I tone that back a little?

August 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM #139863
    Anvildude
    Major

A little tiny progress update, to show that I’m actually working on this.

So, this is a test render of Claire’s model- and can I just say how difficult it is to get an accurate character mesh from a single 3/4 profile view?

Also, the picture has… odd proportions on the head- a little more ‘cartoon’, especially in the size and angle of the forehead in relation to the face, so there’s some slight differences here- the picture also just plain didn’t have a brow, which made the mesh look very strange before I added it in.

Textures are, of course, placeholders.

Attachments:
    1. ClaireTest_forums

ClaireTest_forums.jpg

August 5, 2017 at 6:22 PM #139866
    Forum Admin
    Sergeant Major

Let me see your wireframes. I can tell you if you will be able to animate it!

August 5, 2017 at 7:38 PM #139868
    Anvildude
    Major

Oh, I know I’ll be able to animate. I’m building from the bottom-up with proper edge loops- I’m focusing on Rigging in my animation classes, which is why the modeling is so aggravating. Gonna use my learnings to make up a full pro-quality armature- both IK and FK arms and the ability to switch between them, full scaling support, complete facial animation via shape keys, the whole shebang.

I’ll still show you the wires, though, gladly.

Textures are gonna be a right bastard, though. Same with lighting. And of course I still need to design at least 3 full MAV/MMVs, make a ‘generic’ model for various background characters, make buildings and environments, figure out the effects work…

I’m hoping to have something passable done within the next few months, but I could easily see this being something I end up working on throughout the rest of my college career, developing it into my Thesis project.

August 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM #139869
    Anvildude
    Major

Here’s a front-view of the face wireframes. I’ve got a subsurf that’s turned off right now as well, so I’ll apply that once I’ve finalized the macro, and that’ll add a lot of controllability to it when I start developing the facial animations.

What do you think of the overall look, though? Accurate enough for fan-work?

Attachments:
    1. ClaireFaceWireframe

ClaireFaceWireframe.jpg

August 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM #139871
    Forum Admin
    Sergeant Major

I look forward to it!

What software are you using?

August 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM #139872
    Forum Admin
    Sergeant Major

Looking pretty solid there!

You will want one more loop around the lips, between the outer lip and the loop that goes between the lips and the bottom of the nose. This will help a lot when you are stretching the lips for ‘O’ and “Mmm’ shapes.

August 5, 2017 at 7:56 PM #139873
    Anvildude
    Major

Thanks for the advice. In class we were rigging pre-made models that the teacher had done, so I’m getting all my info on facial geometry creation from online.

I’m using Blender- can’t beat the price, and it’s the system I’m most familiar with in terms of modeling and rendering. I kinda wish I could export into Maya for rigging, but I don’t think I’d be able to import it back into Blender- and I’m definitely going to need to use Blender for the final production stuff- I just don’t know enough about Maya to be able to make scenes with any sort of quality.

August 5, 2017 at 10:41 PM #139879
    Forum Admin
    Sergeant Major

I have been in the industry for 12 years and used pretty much every package there is out there. I, for the life of me, can not understand why people think Maya is good for rigging. It has BY FAR been the worst system for rigging that I have ever seen, the coding support inside it is a joke, and it’s just a giant pile of hacks. I saw a rigging reel one time that used the hair follicle system to get orientations for a spine rig. And it was all based on widely circulated tutorials!

Don’t let my rants prevent you from learning Maya, because god knows the whole industry got convinced to use the piece of crap, and I know you want marketable skills. Just know, if you use Maya, my help will only come in the form of hateful rants about the terrible software.

🙂

August 6, 2017 at 5:32 AM #139891
    Anvildude
    Major

Oh, no, I get that. I think we had a talk about that before. I’m just saying that because Maya was what I was taught in, for rigging. Familiarity and all that. I’m 100% Blender right now. I’m kinda hoping that by the time I graduate, Blender and custom variants will become more prevalent in the animation industry.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.