Hello and welcome to another week of ‘State of the Game’! This week is a bit exciting, as there are quite a few new features in the 0.4.6 release (which you can grab from your user page).
The focus of the week was multiplayer stability, which means trying to get rid of as many bugs as possible to make multiplayer games as fun can be.
This ended up being a complete rewrite of how I handle the networking, and I am very happy with the results. The new system provides a much smoother experience for the players, is more accurate, and uses less bandwidth!
I also, in the course of changing the multiplayer, revisited how the levels are handled from a code stand point. I revamped the whole level system as well, which means I have access to some more advanced features, plus the levels load much faster!
See below for a full list of changes:
+ Added zoomed rotation reduction to aiming
+ Added different cockpit rotation speeds to leg types (slow to fast, reverse joint, biped, treads)
+ Added ServerConfig.ini to Prefs folder to setup the defaults for the Siege server settings
+ Added Ability to name your game sever
* Adjusted clientside prediction for smoother multiplayer movement
* Adjusted lag compensation system for more accurate bullet replication
* Adjusted server side player code to reduce server overhead with multiple players
* Small tweaks to reduce bandwidth usage
* Fixed Rockets Audio not respecting Audio settings
* Adjusted level loading for faster load times
– Removed debug messages and cleaned up code to ensure server stability (did a 24 hour uptime test)
Part Balance Changes
+ Increase Damage of sniper rifles
+ Increased Damage of Howitzers
+ Decreased Sniper Recoil
+ Decreased Howitzer Recoil
+ Decreased shotgun recoil
* Tweaked bullet ‘drop off’ speed for out of range bullets
– Increased Sniper reload time
[Reminder: M.A.V. is currently in Alpha funding for $10. If you want to participate in the Alpha program and get access to the weekly builds, you can sign up for an account Here, and upon logging in you will be presented the option to purchase an Alpha membership.]